• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

what happened to advanced search?

I think tyme & the other tech geeks kind of got sick of dealing with the buggy vBulletin search interface, and decided to link to Google's search engine instead.

If it's up for a vote at all, guys -- I'd rather deal with buggy vB searches than have to read through a jillion not-by-date and not-by-post and not-by-username and not-by-thread title Google returns.

pax

Thanks for the suggestion, pax. I'm with you. The advanced search is invaluable.

I think there are other technical considerations at this time. Once those are addressed, we'll get the advanced search back.

-Dave

I agree, the advanced search is a FAR better option.

Yes, VB search is buggy.

But, it also returns FAR more useful information.

Yes please VB search! I tried for 20 minutes today to find a relevant 28 guage post!

:barf: google more like gaggle!

Just click on "new posts" then click on "search" ware it says "search:new posts" its right above ware it says "Thread / Thread Starter" it still works.

No, it doesn't... not really. The forums have not been reindexed. Advanced search is still accessible, but you'll only get results from the last few weeks.

When you re-implement advanced search, is there any way to enable searches on short strings? There's a lot of firearms stuff, like shotgun gauges, that only uses two characters. A phrase search would be nice, and if boolean searches worked like they were supposed to, that'd be pretty neat.

I'm sure a lot of this is built into the software, but vBulletin's search functions have always seemed pretty mono-buttocked to me. The search functionality of Google with the display modes of vB... that would be best.

You guys work way harder for all of us than we've any right to expect, thanks a bunch.

--Shannon

What I think many people miss is being able to isolate searches to one of the sub-forums, like handguns, rifles, shotguns, etc. I know I do. The google search is nice, but I think people want to be able to focus on a certian area and be able to fine tune it a bit. Just my oppinion.

A phrase search would be nice,
I would LOVE to know how google does this so fast.

The obvious way to do it is slow: search for each keyword of a phrase separately, then do a (slow) full text search of those posts to see which ones have the exact phrase.

Maybe they save each word index entry as a (word, documentid, word offset) triplet. That would allow them to quickly compute offset differences, but would require a gargantuan amount of storage for indexing common words.

The search functionality of Google with the display modes of vB... that would be best.
Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket.

Back