What handguns have grip safeties?

DMK

I know there are folks who like grip safeties and those who hate them. There are plenty of threads discussing that. Let's not discuss preferences here please.

Let's keep this thread a technical discussion. A list of all handguns that have grip safeties, how they work mechanically and any other technical details.

Of course the 1911, 1911A1 and all the clones thereof.

Springfield XD, XDS, etc

HK P7 had sort of a grip safety

What else is out there?

Other than 1911 and XD/XDS, are any current production guns still equipped with them?

VIS Mod.35
IMG_6716-XL.jpg

"are any current production guns still equipped with them"

If we get into antiques, there are a lot to choose from, going back to 1900 Luger at least.

Not current production but definitely current use.

Beretta 1919:
standard.jpg

FN Browning 1906 Vest Pocket:
standard.jpg

Colt 1903:
standard.jpg

Smith & Wesson Centennial:
standard.jpg

Ortgies:
standard.jpg

Rock Island Armory, Baby Rock, .380 ACP.

It's current production, and I don't think it qualifies as a 1911 clone.

I've got a few: 1911 (don't even notice it), Pre-42 designation S&W Centennial (pinned) and an FN 1910/55 (actually requires a conscious squeeze). Sorry, I'll try to post pics later.

The Remington R51 and the S&W 380EZ are the only firearm of recent production that I'm aware of which feature a grip safety.

Trigger Safeties have essentially replaced grip safeties in the modern age of firearms production.

This was my first centerfire pistol. 1929 Swiss Luger American Eagle replica, made in the early 70's by Mauser.

Attachments

• 1929 Swiss Luger Mauser replica.jpg
    1929 Swiss Luger Mauser replica.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 24
You already mentioned the HK P7 - and that made me think of something after reading Forte's comment:

Trigger Safeties have essentially replaced grip safeties in the modern age of firearms production.

Some grip "safeties" also serve a dual purpose, such as cocking the firearm to offload the effort required further down the shooting cycle.

In addition to the trigger safety taking the place of another external safety, the trigger pull is also used in many polymer striker-fired pistols in another function: to also load the striker spring in a "DAO" or striker-fired double action. It seems like a trend is to make a part serve multiple roles to achieve simplification (for the user at least). What's next? Squeezing the grip or staring at the sights hard enough will set off a round?

I like those pictures of the Beretta 1919 and Browning 1906. Look at the little babies!:D

The only handgun that I know for 100% certainty that has a grip safety is also the best handgun ever to grace God's Earth: the 1911-A1.

Nope. It ain't true. I'm not biased. Just because I know the best from the rest does not mean that I'm biased.

And yes, I do have a sense of humor ;-)

I do have great affinity for many handguns, even revolvers ;-)

Lacking ability to admire art in the form of a beautiful and reliable handgun has to be an indicator of diminished brain function.

A lot of you guys have spectacular handguns.

Back