What gun ?

hube1236

A friend has lent me a .303 bolt action rifle that neither of us know anything about. It resembles a 1903 Remington, but is subtly enough different.

The chamber is marked Mk-1 / Long Beach 1944.

Any help?

Long BEACH??

hube1236, I'll bet that if you look closely, the marking will actually be "Long BRANCH," a British arsenal.

If the rear sight is located, not on the barrel, forward of the action, but at the rear of the action, the rifle may well be a No. 4 rifle or No. 5 carbine.

I have no images of these to post, but I'll bet friend Harley Nolden does.
;)

Best,
Johnny

Well, yeah, Mike - - - -

Wasn't Canada considered part of the British Empire at the time? Canadians, Aussies, and others, fought under the flag of the British Empire all during WW-II. Acts of Independence (sorry if I'm using the wrong term) came later, I believe. Lithgow also counted as a British arsenal, as well. I regret any offense given residents of any of the former dominions, colonies, protectorates, and so on.
:)
Best,
Johnny

The marking is on the left side of the receiver and should say "No. 4 Mk 1*/LONG BRANCH/ 1944". Some of the letters may have been worn down, polished off or painted over, but that is what should be there.

Jim

Canada and Australia were members of the Commonwealth, but for all intents and purposes were soverign nations, enacting their own laws and maintaining their own domestic policies for some time before WW II.

Technically Canada didn't gain its independence from Britain until some time in the 1970s, but Canada was, in effect, a soverign nation long before that; the same with Australia.

At least I think I'm correct in saying that.

To say something is British, though, implies origin on the island of Britain itself.

If that isn't the case, why did so much cheap crap in the 1960s & 1970s say "Made in Hong Kong" instead of "Made in Britain"? :)

Mike's right about Australia: Australia's Parliament was formed upon the creation of the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901, and legislative independence confirmed with the Statute of Westminster 1931. Australia has had its own flag since 1903 (selected by a public competition), and Australian soldiers were under Australian command during WWI and WWII, though as part of the Commonwealth war effort.

FWIW we didn't ever adopt the No 4 Lee Enfield: the No 1 Mk III* continued in service until the 1950's (and Reserve and school cadet units much longer). About 640,000 SMLEs were made here at Lithgow Small Arms Factory (where I once worked), and it was an Australian arsenal not a British one.

As to the original question, it sounds like a Canadian No 4 Mk 1* Lee Enfield to me - a nice rifle, and generally much better finished than the British production of the war years.

What rear sight have you got? If it is a simple flip-over L with two apertures these are (IIRC) 300 and 500 yards with bayonet fixed, and 400 and 600 without. Without the bayonet 20" high at 100 yards is probably about right.

There is an earlier type of sight called a "Singer", which can replace the later type. The Singer sight unit has a battle sight and a flip-up ladder with an elevation dial, click adjustable, graduated from <200 - 1300 yards. These are well worth getting if you can. There's a sort of intermediate type too, which has the ladder, but a simple stamped construction with a simple slide rather than the all-machined screw-adjustable Singer unit.

An alternative would be to make a taller front-sight blade, or build the existing one up with TIG welding and file it to size.

Back