what gun cleaner

oregongunner

Inactive
I'm looking for a solvent for cleaning my 10/22 receiver not looking for a bore solvent just looking for a general cleaner. thanks!

Breakfree CLP is what I have confidence in. If I were to run anything else it would probably be Ballistol because it is what Hickock45 has confidence in.

You can blow it out with Hornady One Shot. It leaves a dry lubricant in place. Once it's clean, you're done. No need to relubricate.

Be careful about getting it on plastic. It can damage some kinds of plastic.

Another vote for Hoppe's #9.if you have a lot of lead fouling, Lead away is a cloth , you cut a patch run it through the bore two times & your done. Keep it away from blued steel , it will remove the blueing. I use it on the cylinder face of a stainless steel revolver, removes the burn marks like magic

Hoppe's #9 is always a go too if I have it on hand. If not I've also had good luck with CLP from OTIS. It comes in their kits and is good for exactly what CLP stands for. It is also used by the military so take that as you may but if they trust it for troops I'll use it.

When I was in the Army I cleaned my 60 in a drum of JP4 helicopter fuel worked just fine. All milspec. is good.

Last edited:
I use Gibbs as a water displacer, a cleaner and a lubricant. It's safe on every finish I've encountered, and does a good job. It doesn't have the residue problems WD40 does either.

Back