What good is a Tico Tool?

bullseye

Tried one of these based on positive things I heard about them. Ran it through both bores of my O/U right after shooting and they "looked" shiney clean. Later that day when I got home I ran some solvent soaked patches thru with a jag and you should have seen the crud come out. The more I patched the more crud. Finally resolved myself to several passes with a bronze brush before I could start getting reasonably clean patches. So I ask, what good is the Tico Tool really doing?

The Tico Tool is good for brushing out powder residue but doesn't do the job on wadding. It was the later that your solvent took out of the barrel. The Tico Tool is only good for putting oil in the barrel after it is clean.

Hmmm,

My Father has had a tico tool for a long time. (20+ years?) I also have one, but not nearly as long.

Remember our priority is hunting... that said,

we stuff the tico tool thru the barrel after shooting. (maybe on a good goose day that means one shot.) then oil as mentioned.

I have not had any problems using the tico tool as my only shotgun barrel cleaner.
I do not think my father has had any problems using the tico tool either.

However,

I rarely have run more than 5 shots in a day thru my shotgun. I exceedingly rarely have run more than 25 shots thru my shotgun in a day.

YMMV and FWIW

Gfrey

Back