What exactly is involved with a background check?

I have not bought a firearm since the "Instant Check" went into effect. I am not quite sure what information is given by the dealer to the Feds. On the form that is filled out to buy any firearm from a licensed Federal Firearms Dealer, You supply your name, date of birth, address, driver's license number and answer a number of questions that MUST be answered correctly or the firearm can not be delivered (and some of the questions are worded just oddly enought that you really have to read them to answer them correctly.)

From what I can see, the dealer would give the Feds, your name and DOB (date of birth.) Now, if you are an honest citizen and there are no sound alikes out there that have the same name and DOB and all the records are correct, you should be approved right then to buy the firearm. If the records are screwed up or there is another Gunz and Rosie out there with a DOB close to your yours and she has a criminal record, the purchase will be delayed or stopped. Additional information will have to be supplied to make the purchase.

All these records, of the purchase, were to be deleted after the permission was granted, but the FBI have decided that the law does not mean what it said in that regard and are keeping the records to "track firearms" after the sale.

Hope this helps some, I know if I have made any errors, somebody will correct me. I hope they are not to hard on me for what I have written. LOL

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited May 07, 1999).]

Jim V is correct but you must also supply a Social Security Number, physical identification (driver's license, state ID).The feds are given a name, DOB and SSN. Anyone else, what did I leave out?

The waiting period is also to enable the your local LE to check your records.

It used to be that only local LE checked you out. The theory then was advanced that you may be "clean" locally, but may have a record elsewhere so Instant Check was created. Then it was stated that you could have committed a crime recently enough that it wouldn't show up on instant check so the purchase must be delayed in order for local LE to check your recent record

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

SSN wasn't optional yesterday I don'think. Its on the yellow form you have to fill out and they get most of the info off that think. he just need my DL to confirm the numbers and the address. Of course this the if Great State of California. So it could be different elsewhere

------------------
It ain't mah fault. did I do dat?

Thanks for all the responses to this very basic question. I actually wasn't too far of on what I thought it was.

[This message has been edited by Gunz-n-Rosie (edited May 05, 1999).]

Under Federal law, a person purchasing any kind of a firearm from a licensed dealer must fill out a Form 4473, which is kept on file with the dealer. It asks a number of questions about the applicant. Lying on this form is a Federal crime, although prosecution is rare; the current administration would rather demand more laws than enforce the current ones.

The National Instant Check System (NICS) requires a licensed dealer to call a tollfree number, give his or her password, and the name, address and DOB of the applicant. The SSN is not mandatory, but may prevent delay if there is more than one person with the same name and DOB.

Criminal records are checked by running the information through the National Crime Information Center (NCIC). (The similarity of the abbreviations is confusing to some.)
If there is no record, the dealer is given a transaction number to put on the Form 4473.

State law may mandate a waiting period, or a check by local or state police. This is true in Maryland for handguns and "assault" rifles, and applies to individual as well as dealer transfers. NICS applies to all guns, but only to dealer sales at the moment.

Jim

Remember that the National Instant Check System (NICS) is a work-in-progress, so it will eventually include (in addition to criminal records) in its database records from the State Department, DOD, and other agencies or jurisdictions that may report on persons prohibited by law from owning a firearm in the United States.

Back