What ever happen to the zapper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LASur5r

I was watching Die Hard 2 yesterday on the telly ,when this little old lady brought out her electronic zapper.

So I started thinking , they were popular in the late 80's, whatever happen to them as self-defense weapons?

Has anyone here had the opportunity to use one of those zappers in self-defense or otherwise?

One day I was visiting my local gunshop owner to see what was new when two local officers came in. We were talking about the virtues and the shortcomings of the zapper when everyone in the store kind of got contemplative.
At that moment one of the officers palmed the zapper and ran parrallel to the glass counters to try and play a joke on his partner.
In the glass cases were a little metal alarm strip, so the joker officer turned the switch on and at that moment accidentally hit the metal strip in the glass counter top causing the hand holding the zapper to push away from the glass counter and so he hit himself in the chest with the zapper on....I think about 75,000 volts of xzapper.

All we heard was a muted "Oh, no!" as he silently sunk to the floor.

The rest of us made rude comments as he sat still for quite a while and we had checked his heart to see that he still had a beat and also we didn't have to give him CPR or anything intimate.

Did any of you have a story with a zapper?

Deliberately zapped myself in the foot with one. Smarted a bit and caused some lingering tingling for a few minutes. I always thought of them as more of a "break contact" item than as something actually debilitating.

I got my girlfriend to test hers on me just to see what it would do. It made me lose all muscle control and flail around a bit while it was on me, but I recovered in a few seconds. It definitely would have knocked me down if I hadn't already been safely on the couch.

They tested one of those (plus a taser and some OC spray) on Johnny Knoxville in one episode of Jackass.

I have a 300kV model I've never had a chance to try. Nobody'll take me up on my $20 per zap offer. Anybody want to test???:D :D

I had a 200kV one. I zapped myself in the leg with it on purpose. Made the muscles jump around uncontrolably, but as soon as I stopped, I would have full control again. It didn't seem to have any lasting effect. Also tried it through layers of clothing. They actually will go through a lot of stuff. It would go through four layers of a heavy leather jacket I had. Kind of supprised me.

Yeahm the higher the voltage, (usually), the more layers of clothing it can go thru. My 80K Nova stungun won't go thru my Kevlar vest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back