What double barrel 12ga would be similar quality to Remington 1100 12ga?

Big-Blue

I've got a Remington 1100 12ga with a 29" standard and with a 26" skeet barrel. I bought it in 1984. I'd like to replace it with a similar quality side by side double barrel shotgun for skeet shooting, and maybe for trap. What brand and models should I be looking for? What should I stay away from?

I shot for a couple of years in the mid 80's and would like to get back into it with my boys. I've lost track of what brands are good and bad and need some guidance.

Thanks,

SXS

If you really want to do this, you are going to have to look for used shotguns or be prepared to spend a bit. Modern SXSs of a quality similar to an 1100....? I don't know that one can actually make a comparison between an 1100 and a SXS. Their characteristics are quite different.
The previous post refers to O/Us....that is worth thinking about as one rarely sees a SXS on any of the Clay fields and O/Us are common.
There is, however, a romance that comes with a SXS that O/Us don't have.
I shoot a SXS fairly frequently at 16 Yard Trap. I use one of two field guns....an old Parker VH with 28" bbls choked M/F or a more modern gun...a Russian IZH 43 with 26" bbls choked F/F.
Normally, for Trap I shoot. BT-99.
I can usually shoot 20-21/25 with the SXSs. A good Trapshooter may well do better.
Last time that I shot Sporting Clays with a SXS, i was with a number of fellows who were new to that game, as was I, and I was doing well enough that a couple of them wanted to borrow my gun, an old LeFever with 26" barrels.
You are probably not going to want an antique SG for use if you intend to shoot it a lot.
Modern SXSs of a quality equal to an 1100.....maybe an SKB model 385, if you can find one. Take a look, also, at Ruger's SXS Red Label.

Last edited:
If you want a SxS an O/U will not cure the itch. Or maybe you are like me and just flat do not like O/Us. For shooting a bunch of clays I would look for a good used Browning BSS, a Winchester 23, or an Parker Reproduction. Those guns are built with enough good steel to stand quite a lot of shooting. Be prepared to spend a lot morre than an 1100 to get any two barreled gun that will hold up nearly as well.

In the O/U realm, the basics from Browning, Beretta, and even SKBs, (most likely used), will be your best bet.

Trap and skeet are two very different games and the guns are typically very different on certain aspects - trap guns are designed to shoot high so you float the rising target while skeet guns are designed to shoot flat so you cover the target and pull the trigger. A good O/U can work, but you will compromise a little in either or both games. If you are not using it for competition, then it won't matter much; but if you find yourself shooting competitive registered targets, that one here, one there, you missed means finishing WAY down the list.

Whatever you decide, do yourself a favor and get the target version and not the field model. Field guns are usually lighter (bad for recoil), shorter barrels, (bad for swing dynamics), but the best way to determine what will work nest for YOU is to go to your local gun clubs and rent/borrow/try as many guns as you can - even the ones way out of your budget. The reason being, if you find certain features on those high-ends guns (Kreighoff, Kolar, Perazzi, etc.) then you will have an idea of what to look for when you find guns in your budget. Things like chokes, gun weight, barrel weight, stock dimensions can be easily changed after the fact. Barrel length, perfect lock time and similar, not as easy

The fun is in the search - have fun doing it

Last edited:
Several thoughts...

Rem 1100's are solid guns ....but its old technology and you won't see many on clay target fields these days. In new gas operated semi-autos Beretta has controlled that market for the last 15 yrs. Browning /Winchester are now the same company ...so you might look at the Browning silver offerings. Beretta now owns Benelli too ...but Beretta has stayed in gas gun/ Benelli in Inertia guns. Using an 1100 or even the Remington 11-87 -- if they have changeable screw in chokes ..is just fine for casual shooting.

SXS's are expensive to produce correctly - and there aren't any new guns ( SXS's that are worth considering in my view)... The other issue on SXS's ( and the reason you won't see many of them on clay fields - is the sight picture is different from left to right barrel...not that it can't be done / but it introduces another factor into your shooting. Most of the SXS's that guys shoot these days ....are used in nostalgia shoots / requiring a SXS...

O/U's dominate clay fields for lots of reasons...stacked barrels give you one sight picture for either Over or Under barrel selection. Less moving parts than semi-autos or pump guns - so they're inherently more reliable. Changeable screw in chokes ...mean you can put different chokes in one barrel vs the other. No cycling issues / a misshaped shell will hang up in a semi-auto or pump gun ...but if you can get it in the chambers on an O/U and close the gun, it'll fire. You don't want gun/ammo malfunctions getting into your mind ( if score matters ) on a clays field.

For casual shooting ...none of this matters / shoot whatever you want and have a good time..

For young shooters.....every kid is different / and they develop upper body strength very differently as they go from skinny to strong...so weight of gun and recoil are really big deals. I like an O/U for kids - because its easy to see from 5 feet away that the gun is open and chambers are empty...vs a pump gun or semi-auto. But reducing recoil is best done by a few things....increasing weight of the gun, reducing the shot charge in terms of ounces - or reducing velocity of payload.../ when kids lack upper body strength I start them on a 28ga O/U at around 7 lbs...great patterns out of a 28ga, 3/4 oz of shot is typical, 1150 fps is plenty....or go to a gas operated semi-auto ( 1100's or 11-87's ) in a 20ga or 28ga.../ gas operation helps reduce recoil - but the guns are heavy.

28ga shells are a little expensive - unless you reload.../ so go to a 20ga with 3/4 oz vs the typical 7/8oz load...

There are some pump guns --- like Browning BPS available in a 28ga....and they're affordable ...but operating a pump gun on pairs of targets is not practical for young shooters...

In O/U's ....Browning and Beretta - by far - give you the most gun for the money. Depends on what your budget is ...but you can find used guns in the $ 1,200 range ....but most of their new guns are around $ 1,800 - $ 3,200...depending on model. One of the best all around models in the Citori line of guns is the Browning Citori XS Skeet, with the adj comb ...in a 12ga or 20ga...and Browning recently reintroduced it in a 28ga and .410 ... / the .410 is a poor choice for a young shooter ( patterns are very small )....but if you wanted a good Quail gun for yourself, and a gun to train the kids with ...the 28ga or 20ga would be perfect, if its in the budget.
------------------
On a budget used Rem 1100's or 11-87's ( if they have changeable screw in chokes are good guns )....or maybe the Browning BPS Hunter pump guns...or maybe one of the Beretta or Browning semi-autos in a 12ga or 20ga ...and just go with lighter loads ( 7/8 oz in a 12ga....or 3/4 oz in a 20ga...)...

If you're really set on the SXS's....maybe a Browning BSS...but they're not easy to find in good shape...and while a gun with fixed chokes might work for awhile - its not versatile enough in my view.

I've bought quite a few Browning BPS pump guns / Hunter models with 28" barrel in 12ga...for kids, grandkids in my family -that were shooters when they turned 16 or so, if they had some interest. I've started switching that up to Browning Silver series semi-auto Hunter model, 28" in a 12ga...less recoil, new gas system works on a wide variety of shells ( if they keep it clean and properly lubed)..../ ...if they're training on my guns....I have a Citori XS Skeet model O/U in 28ga, its my gun for Quail, sporting ..with a 30" barrel and I reload so I can keep the recoil down....but a couple of guns the kids gravitate to ...are Benelli Super sport models - and I have a 12ga with 30" barrel and a 20ga with 28" barrel...the 20ga is only 6.2 lbs and 12ga is only 7.2 lbs....so they're light / for kids with limited upper body strength / they like the black synthetic look...and recoil is Inertia but its manageable because both of my guns have the Benelli comfort tech recoil reduction systems in them / but at $ 2,000 retail now - its not a gun, I give as a present...its a gun I keep here, for myself - and for training kids ( my grandkids are 3 mos to 22 yrs old )....and their friends, etc....

and like Bid D said....no matter what / have fun with the process !!

Last edited:
SXS's are expensive to produce correctly - and there aren't any new guns ( SXS's that are worth considering in my view)... The other issue on SXS's ( and the reason you won't see many of them on clay fields - is the sight picture is different from left to right barrel..

I'll disagree with my friend Jim on this:

CSMC (CT Shotgun) makes a SxS especially designed for serious sporting clays competitions in the SxS events.

http://www.csmcspecials.com/category_s/70.htm

SPORTING-2T.jpg

AyA and Arrietta make excellent SxS guns as does Beretta, Fausti and many others - just most of those are designed for field use, not target use they are built light, but they also make a heavier version designed for live pigeon shooting

The issues with any of these high-quality guns is a cost much higher than most here consider reasonable

When you compare a gun that was made on a punch press/injection molding machine/CNC lathes to all the hand fitting of a good SxS gun it is like apples to oranges.

I doubt there is a SxS quality wise that can compare to the 1100 on a dollar for dollar basis.

I'm not saying a 1100 is a better gun just made in a different way so it's costs are less.

Thanks for the input. I ended up getting an Angelo Zoli Field Special. I've read the quality is low and that I'll have trouble getting parts if I need them, but it was "just too purdy" not to get. I took it out and it shoots really nice.

Now I'm watching the boards for a better quality used O/U. I've jotted down all the brands and models y'all suggested and will start researching to find out which ones are in my price range (used). I can probably go up to $1,000 without upsetting the Missus. The 1911's I've been buying have been in that range and she hasn't minded--yet.

Which brands/models O/Us are most likely going to be in my price range. Any?

Sorry, going for comedy there... To me the 2 have totally different feel and function. But, when helping noobs in shooting I do limit the rounds in their gun to 1 or 2 rounds even in a pump. Other than that I don't think the 2 kinds of firearms are interchangeable in a strict sense.

If you are set on a SXS, one I haven't seen mentioned yet is the Browning
BSS. Had one for a while---darned thing was built like a bank vault.

I tried a Baikal built Stevens for Waterfowling. It worked, and it was HEAVY. It did not possess the handling characteristics that make SxSs a pleasure to shoot in my opinion.

i think i would just get another 1100 .
for some odd reason .. here at my house.. over the years . started with one.. now there is Five 1100s ... :confused:

Back