What does this tell me about a revolver?

Pond James Pond

Today, I handled two separate revolvers from the same manufacturer and in the same chambering.

One was a potential purchase: an Astra NC-6 in .38Spl.

The other was my existing Astra 680 in .38Spl.

I was very impressed by the build of the NC-6.

Whilst handling it, I loaded up with snap caps to see how the trigger felt. What I often do with my 680, to practice trigger finger control, is to squeeze until the cylinder turns and locks, then release the trigger then repeat, making full revolutions without the hammer falling.

I could not do this with the NC-6: I could not feel when it reached that set point after the cylinder had turned. No matter how slowly I squeezed, the hammer would fall.

I also noticed that the 680 has a way heavier trigger; like get-finger-cramp heavy if I dry fire a lot.

So what do these two comparative points tell me about the nature of the NC-6?

I mean, does it suggest the NC-6 was built for something more like target shooting etc, rather than SD?

Sounds to me like the NC-6 has a better DA trigger. For me anyway, I prefer to shoot DA as much as possible and a nice smooth non stacking trigger works best for me. I've learned a nice steady pull all the way through just works best. Learning to shoot this way with my revolvers has also improved my semi auto shooting as well. This is for self defense type shooting where I pull the trigger as fast as I can and keep everything in a 6" circle at ten yards.

dont buy those guns and if you have,sell them.

Have you ever handled/seen any of them?
Admittedly, the LCR is a neat gun, but only 5-shot.
And those who've handled Astras seem impressed.

Sounds to me like the NC-6 has a better DA trigger.

I have to say its about as good a trigger as I've ever felt. I felt nothing through the trigger until it broke. I just squeezed and then the hammer fell...

I must confess I'm pretty put off by the overall length of the NC-6. If it were 3" I'd be all over it, but 4" just seems like it would dissuade me from carrying, which defeats the object.
At this rate, I'll probably keep my snub but perhaps look into trigger jobs with a local gun smith.

Last edited:
Forgive me while I cover the ears of my little J frame and say this.

Depending on how you carry, for instance in the waist band, barrel length can be one of the least limiting factors in carry.

Forgive me while I cover the ears of my little J frame and say this.

Depending on how you carry, for instance in the waist band, barrel length can be one of the least limiting factors in carry.

Perhaps I should try with my SP-01 IWB.

A number of members have said the same, but having had my snub at 5o'clock, 4o'clock, 2 o'clock and appendix, seated at a desk and seated in a car, it's just hard to imagine.

Just picturing the NC-6 in my head and I start to imagine Jack Nicholson's 90's Joker pulling that absurd 3ft revolver out of his trousers...

I'm probably suffering from Firearm Dysmorphic Syndrome.

To me, it just says that the timing is earlier on the 680 than the NC-6.
Was the NC-6 used?

You may already know this since this isn't exactly what you were asking:

As the hand and ratchet stars on the cylinder wear down, they rotate the cylinder less, having less length to the parts. Perhaps the 680 which locks into place earlier is better lubricated or the hand and ratchets are longer. Perhaps the NC-6 is worn down or the cylinder is relatively gummy and needs to be cleaned/lubricated. If someone is able to touch the cylinder and add drag to it, and this prevents the cylinder from being locked into place by the cylinder stop before the hammer falls, I've read that this is considered unacceptable and some new or oversized parts may be in order.
Early is ok, not a detriment to accuracy. Late is not good.

I'm not a gunsmith though, may want to bring this over to "the smithy" subforum if still interested in the topic.

I don't know the answer to your question. Of course we like nice triggers.

But really? A 3 in bbl DA belly gun carried IWB is typicaly there to repel someone at arms length while surging with adrenaline. The nuance of trigger pull might be moot.

Having one or the other could be important. Which????

You could be struggling with which fish to catch today,what dish to order off the menu,.....or which ….well,I'll leave it there!

@dyl

I did NOT know all that, but now that you mention it, it all makes sense so thanks!

HiBC
Fair points. Maybe I just want the thrill of a new gun. I certainly like my snub and it carries well.

James Pond, you are welcome! I forgot where I learned that, it may have been Jerry Kuhnhausen's shop manual for S&W revolvers (I probably spelled his last name wrong) which helps understand revolvers in general. That was recommended to me before I disassembled my S&W 27-2. Unfortunately I don't think I waited but wish I did. It's better than most youtube videos and easy to understand with plenty of pictures. You may want to pick it up someday, it sure beats reading a newspaper.

Back