What does the term "duffle bag cut" mean?

aarondhgraham

What does the term "duffle bag cut" mean?

I see this a lot on gunbroker,,,
Almost always on an auction for a mil-surp rifle.

Aarond

It's where the wooden stock on the rifle was cut down to fit inside of a military duffle bag. The barreled action was usually short enough to fit in the duffle but the forearm on full stock military rifles would need to be cut down.

Yep, that.

If you are lucky, and the G.I. was smart, the cut would be under one of the barrel bands, so it would be hidden when repaired.

Thanks gentlemen,,,

That's exactly the definition(s) I needed.

I'm looking at a K98 trainer in .22 LR,,,
It specifically said it had a "barrel band duffle cut".

Thanks again.

Aarond

To expand a bit. The military issued each GI a "duffle bag" ("sea bag" for sailors) into which all of his personal possessions had to fit. When he changed station, or was rotated home, everything he owned had to fit in that duffle bag. He couldn't dump other stuff, as he had to show that he still had his clothing issue, and there was little room for souvenirs.

Note that items like weapons, helmets, ammo belts, field jackets, and the like were unit supplies, not personal belongings, and were left behind with the unit when the GI transferred.

Jim

A little OT aside, As stated every bit of issued clothing would fit into the duffle bag Including two pair of Bermuda shorts ( which thankfully, in the 1960's were deleted ) I have never seen anyone wear those damn things all the times I carted them around.:(

Back