What do you use as a bore light?

DennisCA

I have been using a min-mag flashlight to check the bores, which works OK for my pistol but the rifle its a bit difficult to get the right angle to see clearly all the way down the bore.
Any suggestions?

All you need is a piece of shiny white paper. Even your fingernail can be used in the field. Put the paper at an angle at the breech end, point the breech at a right angle to the light and look down the muzzle. You'll be surprised at how clearly it will light up the bore.

Glad you asked

Any suggestions?
1) There are a number of Multi-tools and pocket knives that have multiple blades/accessories. Some of these have little LED flashlights, powered by button batteries. Most of these tools/knives are fairly inexpensive. I cut the flashlight off. Now I have an M/L bore light that will go down to a .36 caliber. The last ones I bought coast me $6.00 at a department store...... ;)

2) for even smaller calibers and less used, I use a Bobber-Lite. The last ones I bought were $3.75 at WalMart ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

All you need is a piece of shiny white paper. Even your fingernail can be used in the field. Put the paper at an angle at the breech end, point the breech at a right angle to the light and look down the muzzle. You'll be surprised at how clearly it will light up the bore.

That's kind of hard to do with a muzzleloader.:D

bore light

@ doyle, paper doesn't work well on a traditional sidelock muzzle loader.
Maybe if you pulled the "snail / drum" but still it would be a real small piece of paper.
On a Revolver great, and a semi auto pistol, and a bolt action rifle yes.

I have several things called bore brights.
Drop down the barrel shine a light in, they reflect.
they're designed and marketed for this.
PM me if you wish more info.

I use a Thill bobber light in green color. Drop down the barrel and shows details really good.
Tried the other colors available but doesn't show up as well, pick them up on internet or better fishing stores.

For muzzle loaders just figure out what sized modern case will freely slide in & out. Get a nickle-plated one, shine it up & drop it in reversed (base facing muzzle). Makes a great bore mirror for a mag-light shone in the muzzle!

Back