What do you think the new DMR for the marines will be?

Correia

This is from the marines:

Weight: (Unloaded) 10-11 lbs.
Bore diameter: 7.62mm (.308 caliber)
Maximum effective range: 600-800 meters
Unit Replacement Cost: Information not available.

Features: The DMR will be a precision grade, 7.62mm, semi-automatic rifle. It will be equipped with a
simple mounting system which will accommodate a day optical sighting scope, the AN/PVS-4 Starlight
Scope, and other night/low level obscurant target engagement equipment common to, or in development
for, the infantry battalion. The DMR will also have an operator attachable flash suppressor and will use
both ten and twenty round magazines. It is anticipated that the "basic" DMR (i.e. less sight, magazine,
sling, basic issue items, cleaning gear, suppressor, and bipod) will weigh 11 pounds or less. The DMR
design will allow the sight mount, barrel, bolt, and other key assemblies to be repaired/replaced at the
third echelon maintenance level.

Background: The DMR shall be employed by the Main Corps Scout/Sniper team when the mission
requirements dictate the need for a weapon capable of delivering rapid, accurate fire against multiple
targets at greater ranges and with greater lethality than the M16A2. It will also be used by the
Designated Marksman (DM) assigned to the Marine Security Force Battalion and Military Police units
in the execution of their security and counter-terrorist missions.

I think that it's going to be some type of AR10, because it functions like the M16. Any opinions?

An article in the latest Tactical Shooter written by Norm & Rocky Chandler says it is going to be an acurized M14.
They were asked to be involed in the project buy the Marine Corps and the article was about how using the M14 is a bad idea in their opinion and why they think the MC went with it. They also talked about the shortcomings of the M14 platform as a DMR.
This is not the first article they have written about the DMR and its intended purpose of the DMR and I got the impression that it is intended for a more wider use than Correia states above?
Good article, you shold get it if you are that interested.

NJW in AZ

[This message has been edited by NJW (edited February 02, 2000).]

Uh... Has anyone any knowledge that these or like requirements have been submitted to MARCORSYSCOM?

Tactical Shooter's November 1999 issue made several great points for the AR-10(T) carbine rifle.

It will be easy to train Marines on since it's basicly a larger version of an M16. It maintains it's accuracy much easier than an M14 or M1A.

It doesn't require any fragile bedding either.

Any way you cut it the AR-10(T) is a better DMR than the M14/M1A.

or the Knights SR-25

a i heard bunch of foreign military contracts are in at Knights for the 25 & thats why the SR-15 line was shut down after the initial run

dZ

------------------
"walk softly and carry a big stick, one that goes bang in .308 is fine"

Mykl: If I remember correctly the request for a DMR came from FONS (Fleet need statement). The guys from syscom have steped in and quantified many of the previously set out requirements and started testing systems. I think they tested about a half dozen diffrent weapons, but there hasn't been a formal announcement on the new weapon.

Back