What do you think of this video?

Do you think this video should be promoted to new shooters?

• Yes

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • No

Votes: 25 61.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 12.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted yes, all except for the parts of them pointing guns at one another.
Hard to avoid, though, at the counter when looking at and showing them.
Otherwise, good info, in mho.

Not good, voted "No"..
These comments may be construed as "negatives":

Camera shake.
If the customer has questions (ballistics?) she should ask those questions.
Customers nails look bad.
Reflection of overhead lighting in counter-top glass in shot of hand fitting gun is distracting.
Anyone speaking should be working from a memorized script.
Off camera questions to counter person was met with a barely suppressed giggle.
Background is busy and unkempt.
A cut to a close-up of each presented firearm would break the visual boredom.
The customer presents as a mindless "prop".

That is all I can comment on, since I declined to watch further.

Mike

well, as to the professionalism of the video from a videographer perspective I am not as concerned. I was wondering about the information given. I am not too concerned about whether the people using this video look professional(they aren't professionals to begin with as they are volunteers), but whether they are distributing bad information. Think about what is being said and think about whether it is clear and truthful from the perspective of someone who knows nothing about guns(the target audience).

Last edited:
$0 of an NRA membership goes to legislative action or court battles. Not a dime. Only money contributed to the NRA-ILA or NRA-PVF.

Good Grief, John, the NRA created an organization within an organization that raises it's own funds to specifically initiate legislative action, and you criticize the NRA for not using funds from the general membership to do what the ILA is doing on it's own by recruiting it's own membership.

Maybe you should think that one over a little bit.

As for the video, I'd rather see the inexperienced gal get advice from someone other than a salesman. In fairness, he was reasonably knowledgeable, but the poor gal still doesn't have a clue. Get the girl to a range and let her shoot some different pistols and she'll know what one she wants.

Let me list why I said no:
Guy did not properly clear weapons
21 feet is not self defense distance set in any law.
Guy did not engage customer
Guy does not really understand what a good grip is
Girl was acting dumb as a box of rocks
Off screen questions did nothing to help the chick.
The guy does not explain ballistics properly
I can't list anymore as it was to painful to watch anymore.

I would be impressed if I walked into a gun store and found an employee with that much patience and knowledge.

I voted yes.

As a relatively new shooter (9mths, now), I can say this info would have been useful to me. If nothing else it would have put some facts in simple terms, without lots of jargon that I had not yet learnt.

The bit about the relative ballistics I think was good. Noobs, myself included, can be susceptible to all the online opinions on things like caliber. As we all know, ballistics often comes down to personal preference. Similarly, some of the camera-man's leading questions were also useful, such as the one about clarifying ballistics...

Also, being a video, I could see the advice being given in context, rather than described in a post.

So I think the concept is fine.
If it were to be included in some kind of course, then you'd need to probably re-shoot the video with perhaps better kit: mike's, a higher res camera etc. However, if you could keep that natural, unscripted feel, that would be great.

Out of interest: is the shop owner from the US? His accent sounds English, with hints of Aussie, but then all his syntax was in American English. Just curious.

My reaction was closer to that of Mark Dozier. This video was produced and posted by some people in a small 2A organization with an audience of more new shooters, especially female than in most crowds. I think the off topic information is not correct in many instances. The ballistics information, then the explanation of the revolver trigger pull specifically. More than likely 100+ college students with limited knowledge of firearms were exposed to this video.

Last edited:
Good information overall. A good starting point for a more involved discussion on the topic.

Could use a little refinement, but I still voted yes

My guess is the shop owner is from England but has lived in the US for a long time. I don't know him personally nor have I ever been to the shop in this video.

I also agree with Manson. As far as employees, although I believe this man is the owner, what I saw here was well above par. I still don't think this is training material quality though.

The worth of information is relative to the knowledge of the recipient.
While this video contains worth while information, without some clarification the newbie might make some poor assumptions.

If a new shooter had access to someone who could clarify some points this video would be fine.

So my vote is maybe.

I voted "no." Why would someone want to use such an amateurish production when there are well made videos readilly available? It just doesn't make sense. No matter how good the information is, the amateurish production creates doubt about the value of the information. Credibility is important in teaching, and the poor production lowers the credibility!

Too many small mistakes, mostly gun handling problems. Muzzle control was abysmal.

When teaching beginners, it's very important to always model proper, safe gun handling and to always correct (gently) every student error we see. That's the way to start forming the right habits.

Jim could you point me to a better video that is free? Not trying to antagonize, but I am just wondering. I am sure there is something or a series on youtube, but finding it mixed with all the junk out there would be quite difficult.

I voted no.

Poor gun handling (not properly clearing the handguns and also having them pointed at one each other when being handled) is something I personally don't tolerate.

Add that to an abysmal "explanation" on ballistics and also false information regarding the effects of what each bullet does at "the magic 21 ft. distance" makes actually distinguishing between calibers impossible. If what he said was true I'd only carry a pistol that could shoot the .22short.

Grips shown were antiquated and need to be improved upon. For novice shooters this is very important, what they see in a video is what they'll try to use. Simply subtitling that you changed the grip at the range isn't informative.

The "expert" jumped from gun to gun without actually explaining the benefits of each gun and caliber as well as the drawbacks. He basically railroaded the girl into the 1911 in .45acp. Personally I will ONLY carry a 1911 but that's not the gun for everyone. My wife is now also a 1911 lover but she started out with an LCP then moved on to a S&W MP 9 then a revolver in 38spl. before deciding to go with a 1911 but that was after months of actual shooting and experimenting - a total of just over 1500 rounds actually before she decided to go with a 1911.

My favorite local gun stores all provide better information in a very friendly and informed manner to anyone that asks. I've spent enough time in them to see it first hand. If your lgs isn't friendly and informative then you need to find another lgs.

I wouldn't show novices this video...

Hansam just read most of my mind... I couldn't care less about the production quality, although that seemed like a first draft as opposed to what a final video of that type should be. The information was shoddy, I understand not wanting to overwhelm a new shooter with jargon, but better (less inaccurate) explanations of basic concepts can be used to explain caliber choice, bullet choice, handgun type, etc.

The nail in the coffin, for me, was the gun handling. When teaching a new shooter ANYTHING, I believe they should be exposed to only proper, safe, proven gun handling. Videos like this and action flicks could be used to critique gun handling, perhaps as a test of their awareness of what should and shouldn't be done.

I voted no.

Back