What do you think about the 25-20...

Big Yac

... for squirrel hunting? I have a Savage bolt action rifle in 25-20. I have recently began to reload ammo for it. I'm wondering is anyone has used this particular round on squirrels and if so how does it work? Ofcourse I'd try for a headshot.

35 years ago I knew a guy who hunted whitetails with a .25-20, a little small for that. Maybe a little large for squirrels but you won't know for sure unless you try it!

It's a bit hotter than is necessary for squirrels, unless you download it a lot and use the lightest (60 gr.) bullets. It'd be a fine coyote rifle, though, especially with the 87 grain bullets.

It's kind of an in-between varmint cartridge, IMHO. Well above the .22 WMRF and .22 Hornet, but well below a .223 or one of the 6mms.

no, I'd be shooting down on them. I built an enclosed tree stand, 10ft off the ground. I get up in there and wait for a while until the squirrels start running around below me. I know it may sound like cheating but I get alot of them that way:D I just figured I could use the 25-20 for shots alittle longer than my shotgun.

Back