What do you shoot in your K98?

Wrothgar

I've shot both Privi and Remington Core-Lokt. I liked the Remington better than the Privi. I'm looking at some boxes of Wolf Gold; is that stuff any good?

From what Ive heard Wolf Gold is exactly the same as the Privi ammo.Im pretty sure it also has the same NNY headstamp.

I still have a few hundred rounds of S&B lying around before I have to think about re-stocking. I'd probably go with Prvi if I had to right now.

Yeah, the Remy recoils much less and is more pleasurable to shoot :D

However, I shoot romanian light (154 grain) ball out of mine 24/47, and it loves it. I've had some 2 moa groups (5 rounds for all of the group nazis out there) @ 100 yards with the iron sights. Granted, most of them are a little over 3, but I think that's more my eyes and the rather crude blade and triangle sight than it is the ammo. That stuff kicks though... and it's not even one of the hotter loads. I've thought of getting some PRVI. I would try the remy, but it's too darn expensive and drops off of a cliff past 300 yards.

My own reloads, of course! I found that my K98 prefers the heavier bullets, 196 grains and up. I also found that converting 30.06 cases to 8mm is pretty easy. And I can pick up all the 30.06 empties I want at my range for free, but 8mm is harder to find. I don't have a 30.06 so I can't mix up the cases.

The box on my Wolf Gold says that the ammo was made in Serbia. Yes, it does have the nny headstamp. It appears to be decent ammo and priced better than anything else I can find in new production.

Although I won't pursue my first Mauser for at least several months, about what is the lowest price now for pulled 8mm bullets etc?

Pulled? Don't know I've ever seen pulled 8mm bullets for sale. I got 2000 pulled 147 grain .311" FMJBT's for 152 bucks shipped, though. Use them for my .303 Brit and 7.62X54R.

S&B is what I'm shooting right now. A few years back I saw it for $8 a box for the SPCE load, so I bought a pile. It's fairly nice ammo.

Prvi/Wolfgold is ok as well.

For milsurp I like the Yugo M75.

1970's vintage milsurp. Local gun shop has cases of it stacked chest high.

But I am talking about my M48, I don't have any K98s anymore :)

I can't/won't brag about any 100 yard micro groups because my eyes aren't good enough to shoot like that with irons. Off hand shooting is more fun anyway.

Prvi Partizan delinked milsurp.

Turk bullet and powder reloaded into Remington brass and CCI primer.

185 gr Corelokt bullet, Rem brass, CCI primer 45 gr IMR 4064.

Best accuracy is from the PPU and handloads :) The Turk flake powder isn't giving me the best performance...

Jimro

30's Czech-manufactured German ammo

40's Canadian manufactured ammo (headstamp MM 42)

Never fail to go boom ...

Surprise, bought my first Mauser (good 48A) at Sunday's gun show:D. A much-pricier Garand will have to wait.

Just a 'Mauser Virgin', but surplus Yugo (plain brass) and Romanian (lacquer-coated) ammo: only twenty rounds used today, but no ftfs or hang-fires.
My best groups at 50 yards, with any gun, are from this Yugo and only used six rounds on the club target before going to the river to blast mud and two insurgent :eek: grapefruits, from the fierce Kroger Tribe.

The front sight had been adjusted by previous owner a fair bit off to the right, to compensate for the handguard being reassembled tiny bit to the right. Took a while to notice that the main handguard piece is also slightly offset to the right.
Is this fairly common when people reassemble rifles? Maybe an internal part did not fit correctly.

Last edited:
I dont shoot surplus ammo, I shoot sellier & bellot czech 196 grain FMJ through it with EXCELLENT results! Its clean, its good quality, its not corrosive, its loaded to full spec (196 @ 2600 fp/s) and it is very accurate. the brass is also very good.
Not long age I shot 5 shots at .84 at 50yds with my 98k with very good bore and muzzle.

Back