What do you say to children?

John/az2

For those of you that carry openly, have you ever had a child approach you and ask you why you have a gun? or if you use your gun to shoot people? or any other question that you've been asked?

If you have, how have you responded?

Those with children, how would you have those that carry respond?

------------------
John/az

"Just because something is popular, does not make it right."

[This message has been edited by John/az2 (edited April 02, 1999).]

John, I usually don't do this.. but:

Please use the SEarch feature on the topic od "kids" or "children".
We went over a lot of that stuff very recently.

John, scroll down in this forum to CCW & Kids, or click here: http://www.thefiringline.com:8080/forums/showthread.php?threadid=31339

It's not exactly an answer to yur question, but it's a start. If I carried openly and was asked, I'd explain that I sometimes have to work in less than great places and it was for self defense. Out in the country its easy to explain about coyotes, rattlesnakes, and other varmits, but it's hard to explain about human varmits without upsetting someone in an urban/suburban setting. I guess that's why concealed carry is a much better option in those environments. No questions, no controversy.

At any rate, JMHO, but in my mind if you caryy concealed, it's imperative that you teach your kids that it's 'our secret' and figure out some sort of strategy on what to do in public and at home in the event of 'an event'. Chance favors the prepared mind. I don't have a good answer for open carry. Good luck & stay safe. M2

[This message has been edited by Mike in VA (edited April 02, 1999).]

Mike is right, the other thread won't cover the open issue.. sorry.

Kids often ask Cops the same question. A kid doesn't know any better. I have been asked while in uniform why I carry I gun by a child and I told her that it was to protect myself and other people from "bad guys." She said that her mommy didn't have a gun and might get hurt by the "bad guys".. (yes, it was a perfect set up!)..
I told her, in front of her mother and loudly, that her mother could probably learn how to use a gun and then be allowed to cary one to protect herself, becuase Police officers can't always be with everyone.

The mother looked at me like I was nuts and left the convenience store.

Thanks Rob, I'll do the search anyway.

BTW, that was a great setup!

------------------
John/az

"Just because something is popular, does not make it right."

Down here in the South and I do mean Mississippi we could carry openly most of the time before CCP's came around. I'm talking about out and about, not in the bank in down town ok. Now open carry is really not legal but if you forget and walk into the country store with your PDW "where folks know you" nothing is said even by the kids who are around. Kid might say " nice pistol Mr. would you take me out and let me shoot it someday but that's about it. I'll always say yes to the kid as long as he brings his dad along.
Firearms are tools and most of the country kids who have grown up around them know that. They watch all of the movies etc. and laugh just as you and I do. Don't let your firearm be a deep dark secret,teach your children well. A firearm is just like your Leatherman Tool or your pager!
Good Teaching and Shooting. Hank

Back