What do you have in your Carry-On bag?

templar333

Hey folks,

Working on a new design for a carry-on bag and was wondering what the rest of you have in yours during flights? Personally, what I carry depends on the length of flight and for the most part, for very long flights (upwards of 20 hours), my list includes:

Notebook and power supply
PDA
Mini Disc player plus discs
Digicam
Magazines
Passport, ticket, keys and mobile phones (one local, one international) in one side pocket
Pad, pen & pencil
Toiletry kit
Rain jacket (sometimes)
Spare underwear and socks
Bottle of water

and my wife usually adds her personal hygiene and make-up kit.

My current prototype also has a detachable gun pouch that, of course, gets ditched before any flights :D

Thanks.

carry on

About 4 months ago a screener kept telling to assistant there was something in the corner of my bag. Being the guy I am, I just dumped it out on the table, OOOPS!! a nice shiney S&B 7.62x54r round fell out!!
Back to the topic, since it is so common to have to pull everything out on every trip I have switched to one of the large carpenter/mechanic bags from Home Depot. It has a full opening top and pockets everywhere.
I normally carry;
1. laptop with power supply
2. backup discs
3. whatever paperwork I need for the project
4. toiletry kit
5. 1 complete change of clothes, including a microfiber windbreaker
6. passport
7. paperback
8. newspaper
9. gum& hard candy
10. 1/2 liter bottled water
11. cell phone and charger with hands free kit
12. mini mag lite
13. aa& aaa batteries
14.DAYTIMER
15. Pens , pencils, drafting instruments and misc. clips mini stapler etc.

I really like this bag it is easy to get to things and is made from ballistic type nylon. I t carries very well and fits overheads and under seats well also.

Oh yea! digital camera

Absolutely nothing to set off the SHEEP

anyhow... I was 5 hours over the pacific on may way back from Korea on 9/11..... when we turned back after all the airports were closed.

after I finally set back to the US on 9/19, the non-native english speaking 'inspectors' passed over the 4" scissors (durapoint), Leatherman WAVE and KERAMBIT in my laptop case and caught my 3.5" safetytipped bandagescissors in my Adventure Medical weekender kit in my C/O backpack.

Imagine THAT, SOOO much for security

EGG

If I were you, I would make like it's nothing, because in reality, it is nothing, don't give those security freakshows anything to think about, the less they think, the better...

Boy, how popular is this Kerambit stuff? You guys have this on your carry-on sans problems? Hmmmm, something to think about here.

Thanks.

well lets see - I never travel without it in my C/O.... and its isnt like its immediately available nor in a location typically searched.

But then again I have a modified laptop/general business case that has been modified to a certain extent, and an Eagle Creek travel pack unmodified.

The point being is to always remain confident and aware of your surroundings at all times, and never make yourself a target by implication or action.

I'll tell you this, I have several of these "executive ice scrapers" made by choate company and do they every do the job in scraping off ice... not to mention inflicting severe discomfort to anyone on the wrong end of it. VERY low profile and can be tucked aside and never noticed.

Oh well.... much rather be able to do something rather that sit and see someone run rampant.. especially where we are seeing a higher incidence on Air Rage. nothing is MORE disconcerting than to hear someone inebriated and screaming at the top of their lungs. All you want to do is coldcock them one so that the rest of the passengers can ease up, and make the remainder of the trip bearable for all, since chances are likely the plane has diverted off to remove the troublemaker.

Cheers
EGG

I'll tell you this, I have several of these "executive ice scrapers" made by choate company and do they every do the job in scraping off ice... not to mention inflicting severe discomfort to anyone on the wrong end of it. VERY low profile and can be tucked aside and never noticed.

Is this the ice scraper?

ace_of_spades.jpg

If it is, it sure looks like a weapon to me. If I get searched I can't imagine I won't get arrested.

Am I missing something here?

I had a Blade Tech kerambit confiscated at the airport in SLC, as I suppose that specific screener knew what it was.

However, my Montblanc Meisterstuck was no problem, and it is a very effective.... uh, writing instrument.;)

All good lists.

I would add:

Paper printout of all contacts recorded on my PDA. If the battery exhausts, the data is gone until I can recharge and resynch with my computer. YMMV with your PDA...

In a carry-on bag, I'd also want a tubular pocket that would house an end-cap activated high-intensity light like a Surefire (not all of them have a lock-out tail cap). There should be enough "stand-off" at the bottom of the pocket so that the button switch can't be accidentally activated. The pocket should also be placed appropriately in the bag to eliminate accidentally turning on the light when the bag fabric folds or contacts other contents. Pocket mounted on a stiffening patch?

Templar333, keep us posted on your bag design.

Chugach, we're on the same train of thot. We had originally planned on a pocket for a Surefire but the response I've got from other forums suggested that the pocket should also be able to accommodate other lights. I'm kinda trying to sort it out right now :)

Thanks and I will keep you posted.

What about an "executive letter opener"? Would you get in trouble for one of those? (plastic rather thick and sharp letter opener)

Back