What do you guys think of the S&W Model 617?

rock_jock

I found a used one for $350 (6" barrel) that appears to be in pretty good shape. I currently shoot a scoped Trailside in 50 yd. silhouette matches and would like an unscoped .22 for the same competition. Are the 617's fairly accurate? How does their accuracy compare to Ruger Mark II (Competition Model)?

Smith M617 22 pistolvers

The performance of these guns is all over the map though the later ones are better than the first ones. Since it's a used gun take it out for a test run before parting with your money.
An average MKII Ruger will outshoot the best M617 ever made in all probability.
My first one was a 6" sixgun you could throw a cat through the charge holes. Sent it back for a new cylinder and they lost the gun after it arrived. After a few months of this nonsense..." we'll find it, we'll find it"...I called the then president of SMITH AND WESSON and he raised holy hell about it. Well now, in no time flat I had it back with a new cylinder plus a new 4" M617 for my troubles and to see if it was any better than the first p o s M617. The 4" was a peach of a good 22 sixgun which still graces my gunbox. [ had it out for exercise last Saturday matter of fact ] .The 6" M617 was still a clunky P O S sixgun. A pal of mine loved it though so I gave it to him with all good wishes for a long and happy relationship. I kept the 4" sixgun and ended up sending a check for it to SMITH as I DID NOT want them to think I could be had for the price of a 22 sixgun.
So now my idea is to have one of those 10 shot cylinders fit to my 4" M617 and all will be right with the world...
YEH SURE...
GMAFB...

I scoped the usual 22 target pistols, an Exemplar, a 22 Contender and a S&W 8" 617 once when finding good silhoutte pistols.

The Ruger and Buckmark pistols shot medium size groups at 100 yards, several inches.

The Exemplar shot one inch 5 and 10 groups at 100 yards. It was amazing!

The T/C Contender was close to that. It was hard to shoot tight groups with the slow loading single shot. The wind changes quickly.

The 617 did not really group well at 100 yards. Groups were at least several inches, the largest of all the guns.

I used the same Burris 12 power scope and Eley ammo with all the pistols.

At 25 yards all the guns shot ragged one-hole groups.

That said, I tried a new 4" 617 S&W last week on a prairie dog hunt to use as a close-in gun. I hit and killed a dog at 140 yards with the second shot. I was amazed. The 617 was hitting exactly where it was held. I love the new 617 4". I have a 6" version, too which is just as good.

I won a new 617 6" last year, and it's finally colser to being right--it was truly a dog when I got it.

50 rounds would shave so much lead off the bullets that the cylinder would start getting tight. Timing was right on, but the face of the barrel/forcing cone had sharp edges "smeared" into the bore like you would not believe! Accuracy was all over the place, and you did not want to stand next to someone shooting this gun.

We finally recut the entrance to the forcing cone twice and polished the really ungly marks off the barrel face and now it's a shooter--but they ought not come that way from the factory!

Steve

I think your chances of getting a sweet 17 are far better than with a 617. I have had quite a few 17s, none were bad and most were tack drivers.

Terry, that is an interesting accounting of your warrente situation with S&W. I may just use your approach. Am currently waiting for them to return the cylinder that was missing when they sent a gun back......without cylinder.:o

Sam

>>when they sent a gun back......without cylinder.

I hate it when that happens. I remember when they returned my 625 (to turn the barrel so the sights lined up!) and the cylinder was frozen. Nothing could release it. Gun shop sent it back, two days later the revolver shot like a dream. Nobody is monkeying with that piece again.

justinr1

Love it!

I bought my 6" exactly two years ago and have put about seven thousand rounds through it. Accuracy is the best of any handgun that I have shot and the trigger is the typical S&W work of art.

It shoots all cheap ammo equally well and groups respectably with it at 25 to 50 yards. Last month I discovered that I get at least a 30% reduction in group size when using Fiocci Biathlon. I had no idea that ammo could make THAT much of a difference!
Unfortunately this stuff is $6+ per box of 50, so I only use to show off, since a typical range session with this gun is 500 rounds.

As for the cheap ammo, I get my best groups with Remington .22 short (green box).

After two years and a lot of shooting it still works and looks like new!

Mine was pure junk. Accurate as they come for the first 10 shots, then all over the place for the rest of the day. The bore was as rough as a cobblestone road, and the only ammuntion tha would consitantly fire in it was American Eagle brand. Any other ammo would result in 5 or 6 misfires out of 10 shots. The 10 shot cylinder was impossible for me to get used to since it was completely different than my other 6 shot revolvers. I realize that S&* has a lifetime warranty and these problems would have been easily fixed by them under warranty, but since I paid over $400.00 for the thing new, I though for that kind of money it should have been at least 85% right out of the box. I was extremely disappointed, to the point that I didn't mind losing *only* $90.00 or so on a trade in of it. From everything I've read, you pays your money, you takes your chances with em.

I'm quite surprised by the negative responses on this thread. My 6" 617 was the first new gun I ever bought. I can single action two-hand freestyle 4x6 index cards at 50 yards with it. Does that count as accurate? I'd consider that acceptable... The gun is certainly more accurate than I am, and it's a terrific gun for non-shooters. I tell 'em it's the sixgun equivilent of a Golden Retriever and they take right to it. :)

Hey Rock in jock

If you are anywhere near my 52 years I'd stay with the scoped Sig. I can shoot the crap out of the bull at 25 yards with my pre-k17 but at 50....feet
'ya say ????....dewey

Mike,
Since I bought my 617 as a substitute for my Model 19, which is a six shot I'd have to add:
10 shot-:barf:
The cylinder index of the 10 shot is so far off of the 6 shot it makes it useless as a cheaper ammo substitute.

FWIW, I agree 100% with you :barf: 's.

>>The cylinder index of the 10 shot is so far off of the 6 shot it
>>makes it useless as a cheaper ammo substitute.

Not true for me. I have an ultimate and barely pre-agreement, 10-shot 617 in 8-3/8. It loves CCI standard velocity. I think CCI and S&W must have an engineering thing going with this load. I have seen hundreds and hundreds of posts (over many many years) commenting on CCI standard velocity with all S&W 22s, revolver and automatic. I got the ten-shot because, well, it's a high-capacity 22 revolver! It also is the most beautiful K-frame revolver I have ever met. And I OWN IT! Pretty cool, huh?

justinr1

I have had some excellent results from my 617, a newer version with the S/S 10 shot cylinder. I clamed it in my Ransom rest and ran a bunch of ammo across it. I have decent results with most ammo, CCI green tag and Agulia STD Vel giving the best groups.

I was also surprised at the negative responses on the 617. I got mine for a all around plinker and enjoy it everytime I got out shooting.

Banjobart,

comparing the Exemplar to anything else is unfair since nothing compairs. :D I have both the .22 LR and the .22 Hornet Exemplar and they are the BEST shooting handguns I own.

Back