What do you guys think of Armalites?

Svt

How would you compare them to Colts and Bushmasters? I own a Colt AR-15 and a Wilson TPR-15. Now I'm debating on what I should get next. Opinions please....

Thanks!

------------------
Svt
Son's Place

Guns don't kill innocent people. Democrats kill innocent people.

I have a post ban National Match that shoots better than I can ever hope to. After hundreds of rounds thru it by my son and I, no malfunctions. Most serious shooters in my area use Armalites or Bushmasters. As far as I'm concerned, the Armalites and Bushmasters are way better than a Colt. This seems to be a mutual feeling in this area.

Joefo

All four of my ARs are Colt and I've never had a problem. I've always liked the feel of the Armalites though. I prefer my Colts to a couple of BMs that I've shot. Interestingly, in this month's (Feb) Gun Tests, the Armalite is preferred to the Colt and BM offerings.

Svt, How does the Wilson rifle compare to your Colt? I have been looking at them in the latest Wilson catalog and they look pretty good (except for that hideous scope mount).

John Francis

The TPR is soooooooooo smooth. The trigger work comes from the factory with a 3.5 lb pull. All the parts are higher quality then my Colt. Don't take me wrong, I love my Colt to death but for pure shooting pleasure, it doesn't come close to the TPR.

I'm an old military nut. I spent four years with the US Army 2nd Ranger Bn (hence my love for military style rifles). I love to shoot at 300 yard targets. That was the distance we zeroed and qualified at in the army. With the M16A2 I used in the service, I could put together a 2" grouping at 300 yards (we had to before they allowed us on the range). With the TPR, I can do 1" to 1.5". That's nice but with the hideous and I mean hideous scope and mount, I can do the same grouping but at 500 yards. Once the weather warms up and we get less wind, I'll try for an even longer distance.

Now all that was with a slightly off front sight. I compensated but still not 100% accurate. I should be getting the rifle back from Wilson late this week to early next week.

So in my opinion, I would never part with my Colt but at the same time, the Wilson is very nicely crafted. Plus, you get a lifetime guarantee with it. That guarantee is worth it's weight in gold considering the setbacks you sometimes face with AR's.
If you got the $ snag one up!!

At the time I got mine, it took 2 months for it to be finished. I don't know what the current time frame is now. When the rep calls about my rifle being ready, I can ask.

The latest GUNTESTS Magazine place the Armalite first, Bushmasster conditionally in second place and the Colt last, primarily due to civilian price gouging. Cops get pre-ban types for $600, and us civilians pay a starting price of $1040. SCREW COLT!
Paul B.

At a gun show on Sunday, I saw pre-ban Colts go for as high as 1400 dollars. What a jip!
Bushmasters were still reasonable.

Also, I forgot to mention that the Wilson's are a tad diff then the Colts and Bushmasters. The TPR-15 doesn't have any sights. It's designed to be used with a scope. The other two models have front sights.

If you have the time to wait for the Armalite, do that. I ordered their National Match version and a carbine (M15A4T) in February 1999. The NM arrived in about six weeks, but I was told that shipment was a "mistake" but I could keep the rifle. (Gee, thanks.....)

The M15A4(T) finally arrived December 22, 1999, just in time for the price increase (ouch!!). Still took the delivery.

When they tell you a date, don't get you hopes up. Lately, I have seen more AR10's at the local gun shows, but the problem with those is getting the magazines modified and the $1400 to $1600 price tags.

As stated in previous posts, the NM can outshoot me, but I'm working on catching up with it......

DblTap

[This message has been edited by DblTap (edited February 01, 2000).]

I just got off the phone with Wilson Combat. They're currently running 4 weeks on their tactical rifles. So, I'm guessing the actual time frame is 8 weeks hehehe :D

I wish I can go to the armalite site on this computer. However, my work is so anal about guns they block all gun related sites. Fortunately, this one slipped through the cracks so far.

When I bought my last Ar I looked at all the manufactures. I had heard good thing about the armalite so was anxious to see and play with one. When I finally saw one it was junk! The hand guards were loose on the barrel assembly but worst of all the lower and upper were so loose, I could RATTLE the upper against the lower by twisting the them apart. I thought it may have been a bad one but the next week at a gun show I saw two more the same way!
Maybe it was just the rush to get as much out as possible before the new year, but I was disapointed.
Hopefully they have gotten their stuff together.
SCratch

I had a Colt Competition H-Bar. I paniced prior to the "Assault Rifle Ban" and bought an Eagle (soon to be Armalite) "Golden Eagle". After shooting both it and the Colt, I sold the Colt and ordered a post ban Armalite "Spirit" 16" heavy SS flat top upper. I had it within a week.
All three of these units were/are excellent shooters, but the "Golden Eagle" shot a bit better then the Colt so I kept it. The 16" Spirit shoots almost as well.
All of this happened years ago. Things change. Sometimes better, sometime not, but I am very happy with my Armalites.

Neil Casper

I too own an Armalite M15A2NM. This is a very fine rifle, shoots good ammunition to less than an MOA at 200, 300, and 600 yards, with iron sights when I do my part. I have been very very well pleased with my Armalite, and I should think that you would be too! Yours in Marksmanship, Michael (please see my website at: http://www.centurytel.net/distinguished )

Well it seems the majority of you think the Armalites are good rifles. I emailed them to find out the turnaround time and it's been one day with no reply. Hopefully I find out fairly soon. If the wait is a month, I can handle that time frame. Any longer and I get too trigger happy.

You can't beat an Armalite NM or Bushmaster equivalent for the price. Right out of the box, they both shoot at least Master level scores. I have several friends who have Bushmaster NM rifles, and they shoot every bit as well as my Armalite. I like the interchangeable aperatures on the BMaster rear site, a feature lacking on the Armalite.

I own an Armalite NM rifle, having purchased it in July 1998. At that time, dealer rice was $999, with retail going for $1499. If you have a friend/connection with an FFL, you can order direct from Armalite, get dealer price and avoid sales tax. I paid with a credit card. Armalite was very good about not charging my credit card until they called me first to tell me the rifle was ready to ship. In 1998, I waited 3 months for a NM rifle. I can say it is very accurate, easily capable of Master level scores in NRA Highpower. A previous post mentioned the loose upper-to-lower fit on the Armalites. Mine was loose too, but shot 3/4" groups at 100 yards over iron sights. I installed a $3.00 Accuwedge to tighten the rifle up like a rock. Made no difference whatsoever in accuracy!!

On the down side, after I put 2600 rounds (all moly) through the rifle, I checked my throat erosion with a Stoney Point OAL gauge, and discovered throat erosion of .060" from baseline with 52/69/77 gr Sierras and 0.030" from baseline with 80gr. Sierras. I consider that a little too much erosion for the number of rounds fired. With the 80gr bullets, I can chase the throat and accuracy has remained good. With the others, magazine length is as far as I can go and I have noticed some loss of accuracy. Still, the rifle is shooting well at 600 yards, but I notice a lower x-count at 200/300 and a few 10's becoming 9's. For the price, I have no complaints about the barrel life. The Army Marksmanship Unit changes barrels at around 2500 rounds. I have heard of some $450 Kriegers going 3500-4000 rounds. So, getting almost 3000 rounds from a $200 Wilson (Armalite's OEM barrel)is nothing to cry about.

Figuring it was time for a new upper, I planned on getting a second Armalite NM upper to shoot while I had a Krieger barrel put on the existing upper. I called Armalite in early Jan. 2000. They told me 6-month wait for a complete NM rifle, and an 8-month wait for a NM upper. I opted to shoot the fading barrel out of the Armalite while awaiting completion of a complete upper w/ Krieger (6 month wait for that.....). AR match-quality rifles are hot right now. Be prepared to wait.

Conclusion: Buy a Bushmaster or Armalite NM rifle, whichever you can get soonest and/or for the best price.

[This message has been edited by Keystone (edited February 02, 2000).]

Keystone,
How much does your Armalite NM weight? Just curious...
I was also considering buying a complete Bushmaster lower. Then send it to Compass Lake to get the trigger work done and also purchase one of their custom uppers. What do you guys think? Good idea? Bad idea?

[This message has been edited by Svt (edited February 02, 2000).]

Svt, the Armalite catalog lists the weight of the NM at 9.0 lbs., compared to the 8.2 lbs. for their standard M15A2. I know some guys put in a lead stock weight (included from the factory w/ a Bushmaster), and/or add adhesive wheel weights to the inside of the handguards. Some also put shot/bullets in the bottom of the magazine used for slow fire. Basically, you can add about 8-9 lbs to the rifle if you are into the heavy feel. I might consider putting lead shot (inside of a plastic bag) in the stock of my rifle this season to see if I like the extra weight.

I think you would do well with a CLE set-up as you describe. I've seen a Jewell trigger/Bushmaster parts/Frank White CLE Krieger bbl upper combination in action at one of the matches I go to. The guy shot 100 & 99 on the sitting rapid, and 100/100 on the 300 yard rapid prone. He was obviously pleased with his investment. You might want to try the shooters.com website (the Highpower message board) for more opinions on CLE products. I don't personally own one, but I have seen them shoot well and have heard good things about them on shooters.com. CLE's website is http://www.compasslake.com/

Back