What do you guys shoot for bullseye matches?

mk70ss

I shoot a Ruger Mark III with a Millet red dot, Herret adjustable wood target grips, and a little trigger work. here's some pics. What do you guys use?

guns007.jpg

guns006.jpg

Buckmark

Hi MK70,
Nice looking Ruger. I like the Herrett Nats! I had a set on here off a 1911 for a long time.
This thing has a trigger on it better than anything I have shot before. I did it myself and I have been expecting it to fail for the last two years but it keeps chugging.
I shoot it in Bowling pin matches too and the trigger takes a beating.
This gun just suits me as I could shoot what ever I want but I have always shot this thing well and like it.
I like the Rugers but I could never get a trigger on one like I wanted it to be. ( I wrecked more than a few sets of hammers and sears when I was younger) Bob Marvel claimed he could get close to a pound trigger on the Rugers years ago. I don't know what it would take to get him to do it or if he would anymore. I shot a Mk1 with the factory muzzle brake for a couple of years. I don't remember what I did with that gun but I wish I would have kept it now.
I expect my second choice would be a good High Standard.
I better go. Here's the Buckmark!
Thanks
Mike
d636b8ab.jpg

Last edited:
That is a beauty! Great peice of wood on your grip. I always liked the Buckmarks. Keep 'em in the 10 ring.:)

For the .22 match, either a HS Victor, Trophy or Marvel Conversion on a Caspian frame.
For the Centerfire, a Clark 1911 .38 Special conversion Heavy slide.
For the .45 match, either a Clark 1911 Heavy Slide or a Series 70 Gold Cup.
For EIC matches, a SA 1911A1 with Bo-mar sights.
No red dots on any of the above.

Bullseye gun

I mostly shoot PPC, IPSC & IDPA. I do shoot the 50 ft National Gallery Course indoors with a .22 in the winter.

I use a 1960s vintage High Standard Supermatic Citation with the 7-1/4 inch fluted barrel, with grips by Randall Fung.

http://funggrip.jnb.com/

(I really enjoy the precision of bullseye. One of my shooting buddies always refers to it as "gentleman's shooting")

.22 - a Marvel conversion on a Dan Wesson Patriot frame, Tasco PDP 3 red dot
.45 - Les Baer wadcutter, Ultradot 30mm red dot

Regular 1911 grips on both. It's really helped me having the same grip and trigger arrangement on both pistols.
I shot a S&W 52 for a a couple years in centerfire, but once my .45 scores exceeded those of the 52, I simplified things and switched to the .45 for CF.

EIC - Stock Beretta 92FS
Revolver - Stock S&W 686 4"

Last edited:
bullseye

I have been shooting the rim fire section of the 50 foot indoor series locally for a couple years. I use either a Buckmark with 5.5" bull barrel or a Ruger MkII with a 5.5" bull barrel. It used to be a coin flip to pick the gun, but lately I like the Ruger trigger better.

Next time out I may try the center fire shoot as well and am trying to decide on the gun. It will be either the CZ97B or the CZ75B. So far I shoot the .45 better.

Oldshooter,

Have you taken your trigger down the "Trigger mods" trail in the Browning section over at rimfirecentral?

There are a few relatively quick and practically free things you can do to bring your trigger down to ~2 lb silky pull that I daresay may have you changing your mind about your Ruger's trigger.

All the best,
Rob

Bullseye

Old Gaffer,

I'll take a look. I haven't been much into modifying any guns. I did put a red dot on the Buckmark and adjsutable rear sight on the CZ97B. Other than that I shoot them as I got them.

I went to RFC and checked out the trigger mods. I will be doing the "Heggis" spring flip after Sunday's shoot. I could do it now but won't have an opportunity to re-zero the sight before the shoot.

Last edited:
bullseye

Well I shot the bullseye shoot this weekend and used the Buckmark with red dot on it. I will be working on the trigger maybe tonight.

For the centerfire I used the CZ75. The slow fire was as expected but the rapid fire/dwell shooting was something I didn't expect. By the time I was beginning to get the rythm, it was over. I didn't score well but I have a chance to get the trophy for most improved (ha ha). It's a challenge, I'll do it again.

Buckmark Heggis trigger mod

This evening I did the Heggis trigger modification which is described in Rimfirecentral. I couldn't believe how easy it was to do. I always thought this pistol had a pretty good trigger out of the box, but it is really something now I am anxious to take it to the range and check function.

Just started shooting .22 gallery about 3 weeks ago. Shooting a Smith 6-17 with irons. Straight out of the box except the finger groove wood grips. Which I don't actually like all that well, don't fit me right. Going to have to get some better ones.

Doesn't shoot too bad actually although thumbing the hammer in rapid takes some doing.

Creeping up on 700. Another guy at the club shot 804 with another 6-17 this week. Iron sights and double action all the way. Of course, he's had some pretty serious work done on the trigger. Well, that and he's a better shooter....:mad:

Last edited:
Smith 41, Buckmark 5.5 Target as a Buckup/loaner. Both with dot sights.

I bought the Buckmark new over 10 ten years ago for the hefty price of $250.00. I asked a friend to work the trigger over and he did. The trigger went south at a bad time but I got it off to Browning with a note asking for a quick turn around as I was shooting a postal match. I got the pistol back in less than 2 weeks and the trigger was SWEET!

Then I ended up with the Smith 41 and made the Buckmark my back up.

Back