What do you guys like for shoulder holsters?

riffraff

I've been looking through shoulder holster reviews today, would like to pick something up for my sig 220 .45 (which potentially should fit my 226 & 229 as well)..

Basically at the range I'm tired of having to crank a belt down and having it sag my pants, and I'd like to be able to throw my leather coat over one and carry a full size comfortably out shopping or whatnot. I live in an open carry state, so no need to get into ultimate concealment topics this is about comfort and maybe a little plumber's crack mitigation..

I like the idea of as simple as I can get it, do not need an ammo pouch on the opposite side, can throw a mag in my left pocket if I want. Not sure if I can think of a horizontal or vertical preference but seems like vertical might be more secure naturally so maybe thats the route..

Thanks in advance!

I cannot recommend Ares Tactical enough. Doesn’t look like much, but it is a great comfortable secure shoulder holster!

riffraff: I have been using Shoulder Holsters for a long time. I guess you could say I have had a love affair with them ever since I was young kid. But I even used them when I was in Viet Nam both tours, in the Infantry and Flying Helicopters while in the Army. And I still have several of them left. But my favorites are Bianchi X15`s and I still have three of them Small, Medium, and Large Models left. I really dislike having heavy Gun Belts cinched around my waist. ((( IMHO ))) Well made Shoulder Holsters are so very much more comfortable and less tiring. And I can carry a much Larger & Heaver standard size handgun, which I really prefer.
ken

The Galco half harness. I've never personally used it for a large frame pistol but with the smaller guns I've carried on it, the holster works well.

I've been using shoulder holsters for over a half century now and really like the format. In particular, no other holster format works as well when you are sitting down or when in a car.

I prefer the Bianchi and Brauer vertical format for my medium and full size pistols. The Bianchi model X15 medium should do well with your P220. I've even used one with my S&W 5906s.

For smaller pocketable sized pistols or for my snubbies I prefer a horizontal or even upside down shoulder rig. There I like the Galco Miami Classic as well as my old Bianchi 215s.

"...having it sag my pants..." You need a gun belt. There are such things with the word 'dress' in front.
"...plumber's crack mitigation..." That's about pants that fit. snicker.
I used an Uncle Mike's, ballistic nylon, shoulder holster on occasion while in the Queen's Service. Reasonably comfortable and inexpensive. Both my BHP and 1911A1 fit with no fuss.
"...sitting down or when in a car..." Cross draw.

I've been using a Galco Jackass for 15+ years.
It's comfortable, even with a 35oz. .45 in it, but I am having second-thoughts about horizontal carry; not liking the "sweep everyone around you with a loaded gun" feature.
I have a compression-style "t-shirt" with built-in vertical holsters on each side, and it's great for carrying a light-ish gun, but not real easy to get to when worn with another shirt over it.
I think the vertical, spring-clip style, a la The Untouchables, isn't a bad way to go.

Attachments

• brauer.jpg
    brauer.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 29
I've been using a Galco Jackass for 15+ years.
It's comfortable, even with a 35oz. .45 in it, but I am having second-thoughts about horizontal carry; not liking the "sweep everyone around you with a loaded gun" feature.
I have a compression-style "t-shirt" with built-in vertical holsters on each side, and it's great for carrying a light-ish gun, but not real easy to get to when worn with another shirt over it.
I think the vertical, spring-clip style, a la The Untouchables, isn't a bad way to go.
My old Brauer with my 1962 East German Makarov.

standard.jpg

Back