what do you do with an animal you don't plan on eating?

What do you do with an animal you don't plan on eating? Do you:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sum1_Special

i am curious to know what you guys do with an animal you have just shot, but don't plan to put on your dinner plate? like a coyote, stray dog, squirrel, or rat?

dont shoot it..........

Ted Nugent had once mentioned a program where certain shops would butcher the deer and donate it to homeless shelters n stuff

If Im not going to eat it or nobody wants the meat I dont shoot it.....

yea i know wisconsin for sure has a venison donation program - almost 250 tons last year! :eek:
not sure about IL or anywhere else.

i think the vein of this thread is more varmint-type stuff though. i'm planning to blast some coyotes in the near future and would like to learn how skin them to keep the fur. gonna have to wash 'em good first though!

I don't shoot at non-edibles except raccoon. I trap and kill raccoons for population control and treat the carcasses like a biohazard as they can carry a neurotoxic parasite (Baylisascaris procyonis). I handle them with disposable gloves, bag them, put lamp oil in the bag and make a pyre. :barf:

Learning fur

To learn how to tan coyote hides, contact your local trappers' association. Trappers are very nice and helpful people. :)

There are books on the subject but it helps to watch somebody first.

Normally, I'm with Eghad. My personal beliefs prohibit me from hunting sheerly for sport, but in the last 5 yrs. or so, I've had to go back to hunting groundhog. Groundhog holes and horses are a bad mix :( . The young ones make good eating if you can find someone that knows how to cook 'em. (I'm a lousy cook :p ) The old ones are too tough and gamey. Those we generally stuff back in their holes as deep as we can and back fill them.

Eghad and bclark1, you dont kill pests? maybe i should have clarified it, i dont think i'd ever shoot a deer without eating it, ever. these are good animals, it would be a shame to waste in that manner. but i'm talking more about animals that are not usually good for eating, cats, dogs, coyotes, possum, ect? :confused:

if i had to shoot a feral cat on my property i'd probably take it in the woods and bury it, but if we were talking about shooting a troublesome coyote or dog in the woods and i didnt have a shovel with me i'd probably either just take the pelt, or leave it there for the scavengers. it doesn't seem as if many people will admit that they leave animals to rot, but I have definetly seen it done all the time.

If I'm not planning on eating it, then I shot it because
a) It was a pest
b) It had a good hide
In situation a, I leave it for the coyotes. They will remove it within a couple days, at most. In situation b, I take it to the local hide and fur shop, and cash it in.

Ted Nugent had once mentioned a program where certain shops would butcher the deer and donate it to homeless shelters n stuff

ill never shoot a deer unless im going to eat it or members of my family are going to eat it. a deer wont ever go to waste when im around.

when i shoot varmints (coyote, rabbit, gophers) they stay where they lay after i make sure theyre dead and not suffering.

Anything but stray dogs gets burried and a mound of rocks ontop to keep em buried.

Stray dogs are another story.. the only one I've bothered to shoot(it was part of a pack.. I wasn't going to take chances with my dog), I called animal control to come pick up.

sorry I didnt catch the pest part.......

If coyotes are other critters are endangering the livestock or killing them....go for it.

had sport hunting on the brain :o

I myself do not personally go out varmint shooting because i dont have anything in danger from the critters. However if the were of danger for any reason i.e. rabies, ect then I would volunteer to take some out.

but othet than that if it isnt bothering me I wouldnt bother it..........

Depends on the animal, so couldn't vote:

Rat - leave it lay.
Squirrel - leave it lay - I assume you mean ground squirrel or prairie dog.
Stray dog - only shot if it's actively harrassing wildlife and I'm certain it's a stray. Report to SO, leave lay - generally they'll want it.
Coyote - if I'm on a rancher's property I'll drop it off by his stockyard so he can see how many of the buggers I got. He appreciates that - has quite a pile of carcasses. In winter, skin and sell if prime...

Only one thing that you can with a food game animal you don't plan on keeping... Hunters for the Hungry. I've lost count of the number of snow geese I've shot and donated. Each one is tax deductible as well.

Bunnies and Jays.

Mainly, since the bunnies eat stuff that my mom doesn't want them to eat, and the jays kick other birds out that my mom likes...

Hm.. mom dictates what to shoot :eek:

joab wrote;
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms.
:D

Great line from a great movie. And my thoughts as well.
Only time I remove them is when they are on someone elses property that wants them removed. or I'm planning on using it for bait. Otherwise they stay where they fell.

Since I and the coyotes compete for blue quail, I occasionally do my part in trying to maintain what I consider a proper balance as to the number of coyotes. :) The reality is that I rarely call up more than one or two a year.

Anyway, the aftermath is that I cut off the tail and tack it on a porch post. The buzzards or the lions get the rest, depending who gets there first.

Haven't really made an effort to bother Cigar Mountain Mama lion. Gotta think on that. :)

Art

I think you are supposed to hang coyote carcasses on a fence near a road (kind of like catfish heads) I used to see that all the time, sometimes I would see 10 or 12 coyotes hanging in a row. Must be a cultural thing down here...... :)

Back