What do I need to "Sell" Cast Bullets...

Mike / Tx

Just to clear the air and keep from hi-jacking another thread, and a very PRETTY, oh sorry, I meant a VERY GOOD one, I thought I would post up a couple of links about the manufacture and sale of components and or cast bullets.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-69429.html

And here from TFL,
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449755

Personally I like to cast a WHOLE LOT, almost as much as some of these folks who are candy coating theirs. But to set up for production sales is a whole nuther matter I don't even want to get into.

It might start off with one or two or even a half dozen calibers, and only selling some here and there for friends or possibly to a gun club, but then things have a tendency to take off on their own. Word of mouth gets around fast especially when you have something good, at a good price, that others want.

Now depending on your free time, and how much area you have to work, and what sort of capital you have to work with yes it can be done. But for the average Joe who works 40 60 hrs a week, it sure makes it rough especially if you have kids.

I like to cast a whole lot... ('doin some today, as a matter of fact):D, but I would hate to have to cast enough to keep up with more than just me and Mom.
And there's no way I would powdercoat enough for sales. That is a great coating and probably the future of lead bullets, but it is kinda time consuming on a picnic-table-with-a-toaster-oven scale operation.;)

Aside from the financial requirements for licensing, insurance, and the "other" categories that are always hotly debated (like ITAR, the EPA, and zoning issues)....
As soon as casting became a job, I don't think I'd want to do it any more.

There was a time that I was saving my pennies to buy several commercial casting machines, and a bunch of swaging gear. But, in the handful of years since then, I've lost the enthusiasm for such an endeavor.
While saving, I managed to hit $18k dedicated to that equipment, which was enough to get started the way I wanted to. But there are some days that I'm glad other responsibilities made me tap into that fund and completely drain it. At this point in my life, the business would be going under, because I wouldn't have the time to make any bullets.

I knew a guy who tried to make money casting bullets. He had a couple of gang molds going with two pots of lead and a bucket of water for when the molds got too hot. He also had a star lubersizer and sold his bullets at local gun shows. I don't think he made much money because he stopped doing it. This was around the time I started seeing lazercast on the market. The guy's next project was trapping...right around the time fur prices dropped like a rock. Oh yeah, I don't remember him having to have an ffl to sell bullets.

You don't need to register with itar unless you export. So a tax id is about all you would need. Just selling components doesn't require a atf class 6.

You don't need to register with itar unless you export. So a tax id is about all you would need. Just selling components doesn't require a atf class 6.

I think it does if you manufacture those components. Also, from what I've read the ITAR fee is just a little cheaper if you don't export. You can get an exemption from ITAR, but you have to apply for it.

But the main problem is, turning any hobby into a business just ruins the hobby.

You can get an exemption from ITAR, but you have to apply for it.
A recent discussion about the ITAR registration had a few manufacturers add their experiences, and they claimed that exemptions were no longer being granted for ammunition manufacturers. (I'm using the Federal definition of "ammunition", here, which includes bullets, brass, powder, etc.)

The exemption is still officially an option, but, in reality, the application will be denied.
So, you either register and stay legal; or play dumb and hope you don't get in trouble.... :rolleyes:

The International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) kinda explains itself. I am a class 6 and read every article and asked Atf and it was not required for normal 50 cal and under ammo unless exporting or mnfg listed articles which are over 50 cal and defense articles. It's made for any company that sells and ships worldwide.

A "hobby" is fun . . and it's nice to share that hobby with a few friends if you want to. When a "hobby" turns from a "hobby" to a "job" . . . it becomes "work" . . . and it no longer is "fun". Moral of this lesson . . . "don't quit your day job". Self-employment can be very rewarding, there's no doubt about that. Unfortunately, rules, regulations, insurance, etc. keep piling up and soon you discover that you are no longer working for yourself, you are working for the "guberment". . . . and it's only going to get worse.

X2 on that. It takes all of the joy out of reloading. 500-1000 bullets a day to keep up with orders...full time job. Still I like it better than a 9-5.

Like I said, casting for spending money & casting for a living a living is different. This isn't meant in any way to say it wasn't enjoyable.

True Creeker !!! Very true !!

I sometimes trade stuff or cast for 1/2 the lead sometimes .

1 friend sent me 68# , but the deal was struck & I thought I`d never get 34# of bullets cast & loobed !!

I`m glad he was`nt in a hurry & was happy with the end result .

If I were to cast for any kind of sellin arrangment ,I see an automatic machine doing the bulk of the work.

I've cast for hobby & business, both part time & full. Casting is a lot of things but I can't remember a time it wasn't enjoyable.

I thought of buying a casting machine and paying for it with bullet sales...but then I thought what the hell would I need a casting machine for for personal use only.....well I guess I would have the machine free sort of and I would only have to cast a couple times a year

Last edited by a moderator:
Back