What distances for Pistol Competitions??

Eric M.

At my gun Club, we just built a new pistol range, and will be having our first pistol league this spring.
We are in the planning stages and I have a couple of questions for you guys.
We have a new blockhouse that we shoot from to the outside.
Each shooter has his own shooting station and can't see the shooter next to him.
We have ten stations.
There will be no NRA Sanctioned shoots for this, the first year.

At what distances would be the best to shoot???
We will have a .22 League, and a Larger Bore league.

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric

May not be NRA sanctioned, but if you plan to hold any sanctioned or approved matches, you had just as well start out right. The standard national match course is at 50 yards slowfire and 25 timed and rapid. There are scaled down slowfire targets so you shoot everything at 25. Indoor matches are normally at 50 feet with their own small target.

My club shoots B4 and B5 targets at 20 yards.

Interestingly enough, we use 50 ft. B2 and B3 targets for NRA approved matches only.

The 50 ft. target holders turn, but do not come in or go out. Manual turn with a giant lever. It's a pain to set up so we only use them at matches.

The 20 yard targets are on carriers that go in and out, but do not turn for matches. (they used to, but hey, the place is City-owned and 70+ years old.)

When you practice at 20 yards, the standard outdoor targets look HUGE.

The above posters described the National Match type of shooting. Another option is pistol siloettes. These are shot from 25 yards to 100 yards. The chickens in front of one fireing point, hogs, turkeys, and rams in front of the others, shoot and rotate.

You can out distance most shooters at 10 yards, if you have some really good shooters you can really challenge them at 30 with tighter time limits.

The real answer you see will depend on what type of competition you intend to hold.

Back