What did I buy??

jbladedx

Inactive
Well I was at my local gander mountain today and was looking at the used guns i came across a nice looking grey laminated stock, bolt action, 22" barrel labeled Carl Gustafs Stad 6.5x55 swede. Never heard of this make before i dont no a whole lot about guns as you can tell but i have always had an interest in the 6.5x55 caliber so i bought it. From what i can tell from reseaching is that this is an old swedish mauser which must have been fitted with this laminate stock or something. shouyld i have bought this or was it a bad mistake??

Attachments

• 6.5x55 carl gustafs stad.jpg
    6.5x55 carl gustafs stad.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 268
  • 6.5x55 carl gustafs stad2.jpg
    6.5x55 carl gustafs stad2.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 168
  • 6.5x55 carl gustafs stad3.JPG
    6.5x55 carl gustafs stad3.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 160
It is possible that it's a commercial rifle rather than a rebuilt surplus gun.

Carl Gustaf bought the commercial arms business from Husqvarna.

I can't say for sure but if it is built on a mauser action and it may have previously been made by Husquavarna or at least on their designs, I think you done good:D

I have an 1891 argentine mauser that has a custom stock similar to that and has been rechambered to 6.5x55. ITS MY FAVORITE RIFLE. Carl Gustaf is a sweedish gun making firm and they do make mausers chambered in 6.5 . If it shoots like my mauser you will LOVE it. The 6.5 is harder to find (look at gun shows) but an excellent round for deer and hog. Nice looking gun dont be surprised if you start shooting it over all of your other rifles. Happy shooting. :)

Last edited:
You have a Swedish Mauser model of 1894, 1896, or 1938 that has been sporterized. The bolt handle has been turned down to clear a scope and the action has been drilled and tapped for scope mounts. I can't see if it has a safety altered or replaced to clear a scope.

The Swedes did not issue 22" barrels, I can't see well enough to tell if you have a replacement or a cut off factory barrel.

The whole thing set in a laminated stock and matte blued.

The '94 series is of good steel and adequate design for the caliber, which is a good medium game round.

You did OK, but maybe you got lucky. Are you in the habit of buying stuff you can't identify?

I hope the gun shoots well. I will be useing it mostly for deer. Ill no more about the gun and ill get more pics when I pick it up Wednesday. Ill get the markings off the gun and model so u guys will no more about it. This was an impulse buy and I just happen to come across it and I got it for a great price so I figured what the heck..atleast I think it was a good price. I paid $317.99 out the door. Hope I like it. Now I just gotta find ammo no one locally seems to have it!

I more or less agree with Jim Watxon. You bought a former Swedish Mauser that someone has sporterized.

I agree and thats what I originally thought it was. Either way if its a commercial gun or an old sporterized mauser I like it and it was cheap and the craftmanship is really nice so whoever did it did a great job! i think ill be happy with it :) Cant wait to pick it up Wednesday!

Those Swedish Mausers were and are one of the most accurate military rifles ever made. Most had very good bores (the Swedes took care of their guns and didn't fight any wars while they had them) and are tack drivers with good ammo. The 139/140 grain boat tail bullet is especially well suited to the rifle.

Jim

Back