What did cleaning kits looks like in the 1860’s?

Pops1085

A google search didn’t turn up much. Just wondering what kind of equipment they had to work with back then. Did they have bore brushes that looked like ours? As in a spiraled bronze bore brush? What solvents/oils were used?

Do a Google image search for "percussion revolvers cased set" and you'll find quite a few pics of handguns with brushes, loading tools, bullet moulds, etc.

No need for solvents back then. Black powder and its residue is water soluble so ordinary hot soapy water was used for cleaning.

For shotguns, rods were often hardwood, with brass joint fittings. Metal rods were more expensive. My Grandfathers 12ga shotgun kit is like that, and includes a steel brush, which is not long like today's brushes, its kind of a flat disc with curved "arms" forming a bore size circle. A large loop eye for patches and a "mop" swab that is slightly over bore size. This kit was for his 1909 Ithaca, and I doubt was much changed from kits 30 or 40 years earlier.

As noted, special solvents were not needed black powder, hot water being enough to do the job, with oil after drying for rust prevention.

Doyle No need for solvents back then. Black powder and its residue is water soluble so ordinary hot soapy water was used for cleaning.
Somehow I don't think lead deposits know whether black powder or smokeless was used.;)

Somehow I don't think lead deposits know whether black powder or smokeless was used.

With the low velocities back then, I'm not sure lead fouling would have been a major issue. Any cap-and-ball guys want to weigh in on this?

Unless it's a Mine' ball rifle, in which case the bullet does contact the rifling.
Revolvers also contact the chambers and barrel.

I've fired a good amount of Mine' balls and a Colt Second Issue 3rd Model Dragoon.
I never found any hard leading like with a modern firearm.

A simple bronze bore brush and hot water cleaned everything out.
This may be largely the result of using almost pure lead for the bullets in both rifle and revolver.

Except that with Black Powder residue, there is minimal lead to bore contact. There is a sheen or layer of residue/fouling that substantially mitigates any leading. As noted, hot water and a brush will do fine.

Bore mops and hot soapy water are all I use to clean bp bores. There's no need for brushes since there's no lead fouling. You might get some lead fouling with a breech loading black powder rifle if you push soft lead over 1000 FPS.

Flintlock era you used the "wiper" rod, attached tow and pushed it in/out and rinsed in water. Hot soapy water or just hot water until the tow came out clean. Dried and then sperm whale oil or bear oil for lubricant.

Don't for get about the patch puller. You know, that corkscrew looking thing. Also, the ball puller. That' the one that looks like a wood screw.

Back