what density checkering?

24 to 30 lpi. I prefer finer checkering, I use 24 to 28 lpi. Finer looks nice but may be too smooth for a good grip, coarser checkering roughs up your hands.

The finer the checkering, the easier it is on the hands. I used 25, and left the tops flat, not pointed. It is also quicker to checker, using the 25, since it is not cut as deep.

I think flat topped checkering is overlooked. Of course now you can get all the frou frou scallops and divots, but checkering still looks best to me and it doesn't have to be razor sharp. I have one 20 and one 30, both with the tops of the diamonds flattened.

The 20 was cut, flattened, and wire brushed. It is about as rough as stippling but better looking.
The 30 was cut and flattened but the corners of the flat topped pyramids are still sharp and it has kind of a cat's tongue sticky feel.

Jim, you're correct. I found that sharp checkering just felt like it bit into your hands, so I tried the flat topped, and it made a lot of difference, and then, I told my customers about it. It is still diamond or square pattern V checkering, but not deep enough that you have the sharp pointed tops, as it leaves them slightly flattened off. Plus, it saves all that extra finishing time of using a V file to get them to the finish depth, and make sure the points all come out.

I had bought a socket set, that the ratchets had deep and sharp checkered knurled handles, and they always bit into my hand, to the point that I gave the ratchets away, and bought some that were flat topped knurled. It gave me the idea to try it on firearms.

YES, Flat Top !! I've been using it on my guns for many years ! Problem is that most shooters never heard of it ! Even the finer checkering can make a big difference .On my BHP the front strap is a bit thin so I used a finer checkering so as not to go too deep.Lines rather than checkering can do well too, or designs, and makes it easier on complex curves ! Some of the pistols have case hardened frames , HK P7, and that has to be ground off before checkering .
I wonder how many were turned off from checkering when the old S&W M39 had a backstrap with very coarse checkering that wore out your clothing when carrying under your coat .
It works !!:D

Back