What condition/mode to carry/store a SA/DA pistol?

Slartibardfast

I’m two days away from getting a Berretta 92FS, and I wanted to get some opinions as to how a Single Action/Double Action gun should be stored. I was thinking of keeping it in the following condition: a round in the chamber, hammer lowered, and safety off. My reasoning for this is that if I ever need it in an emergency, I don’t want to have to worry about fumbling around with the safety, I want to be able to just “aim and shoot”. I assume not many people keep their SA’s “locked and cocked”, for safety reasons, but I was wondering if anyone keeps their gun stored without a round in the chamber, and plan to rack the slide prior to use.

I should add that this gun is used for home protection only, and will not be carried on my person. It will be kept in a locked gun safe, to which no one else has access. Please let me know how all of you store and carry your SA/DA guns and your reasons for doing so.

Thanks.

------------------
If Keanu can dodge bullets, why can’t I?

I carry and store my DA guns fully loaded with hammer down, safety off, like I would a revolver. I store my SA guns fully loaded, hammer at half cock, safety off. I carry SA cocked locked.

Yup.

The only times I have carried a DA with unloaded chamber was with Glock and no holster. (Not advised, incidentally.)

BTW, Spartacus says "Double-action only is the only double-action that makes sense!" :D

In a locked gun safe what difference does it make how its stored?You will never get to it in a emergency anyhow.
Bob

The safety can be flipped off and the slide racked in about 1 or 2 seconds. How long does it take to open the safe?
Now for just storage, why even have the magazine loaded?

[This message has been edited by prib (edited January 17, 2000).]

Whatever you decide, be consistant. Don't play games with should a round be chambered or not. Or, should I leave the safety on or not.

I'm a member of the round in the chamber, hammer down, and safety off club with DA/SA autos.

Erik

Clarification:

By “storage” I mean how the gun is kept when it is not carried, (i.e. a gun safe, nightstand, sock drawer etc). I do not mean long-term storage in which the gun is not meant to be accessible, and will not be handled for an extended period of time.

beemerb and prib, I take it you don’t like the idea of gun safes. Is this simply because of the extra time it takes to open them, or is their some other reason? . FYI my gun safe is Gunvault Minivault, and takes about 2 seconds to open. I realize that every second counts, but I don’t like the idea of my gun being totally unsecured. Is that not a concern of yours, or have you taken alternative steps to secure your firearms?

Thanks to everyone for their responses, and please keep them coming! I've been shooting for about 3 weeks and am trying to absorb as much information as I can.

I'm the same as the rest. DA/SA - round in the chamber, hammer down, safety off. Also use a SA cocked and locked.

Safes are a great idea. You seem to be able to get into your safe in a hurry, so use it. I imagined a combination and key safe that would take way too long to get into when you needed to. Just be sure the 11 year old who comes over can't get into the safe in 2 seconds. Just keep the ?key? with you always.

Also you need to be 100% able to feel that the chamber IS loaded in the dark by feeling the Extractor/chamber loaded indicator. If you can't then during that emergency, you should rack the slide anyways to make sure you have a loaded pistol.

I was going to say, "Attached to the anchor rope of my boat." but I decided to hold back! ;) LOL

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson
If you have to shoot a man, shoot him in the guts, it may not kill him... sometimes they die slow, but it'll paralyze his brain and arm and the fight is all but over Wild Bill Hickok
Remember: When you attempt to rationalize two inconsistent positions, you risk drowning as your own sewage backs up.
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG

"Also you need to be 100% able to feel that the chamber IS loaded in the dark by feeling the Extractor/chamber loaded indicator. If you can't then during that emergency, you should rack the slide anyways to make sure you have a loaded pistol."

I have to disagree here. Your prime self defense weapon should always be considered to be "known" as to its condition. Whatever primary defense strategy is employed, it must always be known to whomever may use it to be "known" as to its condition. A great arguement for "everyone" having their own "SD firearm" but still knowing what others may have (& conditions) if applicable.

Case in point. I've a BHP in hammer-down/round in chamber (for in-house-use - Wife would have to know to cock & pull - she has SWm66 - just double action to shoot) ... very big difference in what you'd have to do to make the shooter go BANG.

You do make a good point however in that if nothing else, always "rack & shoot" should allow any defensive handgun to go BANG. I do hate to EVER make any noise prior to the muzzle flash giving away my position.

Here is my opinion on this subject...

You should keep your gun with a round in the chamber and the safety on. I feel that if you have a DA/SA pistol with a safety, you should be using the safety all the time. This way disengaging the safety will become second nature. I feel this is important so that in situations that you do feel like using the safety, you won't have any problems drawing the gun and firing. Also, what if you were to knock the safety on by accident when you are scrambling to pick it up? Always swiping the safety off will cover this remote situation.

In my opinion, if you don't plan on using the safety, you should buy a gun without it, i.e. the 92G, a Sig, etc... Just my thoughts...

Back