What chokes to add?

baddarryl

Hi all. I have an Imp Cyl and a Mod for my 12ga BPS. I am thinking of getting a full for ducks and then a turkey. Is that wise choice? Dove, duck and turkey will be most of the use for this one.

Chokes are expensive. What brands would you recommend for a hunting gun? I am on a budget and found RedHead chokes, but the reviews are a little mixed. What else can I look into? Thanks.

You shoot steel shot for waterfowl....so with steel the tightest choke you can shoot is a Modified.

Full is for lead shot only...so Turkey.

Personally, for a hunting gun ( I want to know what the pattern board tells me for a given load and choke )....and in a BPS, I use all Browning chokes...the cost of good chokes vs cost of shells and hunting ...makes the cost of chokes not really the issue. But for a hunting gun - I can get by with an Imp Cylinder, a Mod and a Full - and if I'm hunting upland birds ( Quail, Grouse, etc ).....I'll want a Cyclinder, and an Improved Mod ( giving me 5 chokes in a single barrel BPS).

Also be aware that the type of ammo you choose can have a big effect on patterns. For example, many of Federals loads with their Flight Control wads pattern significantly tighter than other ammo out the the same gun/choke, because the pellets don't separate from the shot cup as quickly.

But to address your question more directly, I've used Carlson's chokes in a few different guns and like them. They seem reasonably priced while also having a reputation for quality.

Trulock is a standup company , with the best satisfaction guarantee in the business .

Kicks also makes good chokes .

You still need to pattern your gun and see what brand shells , size and choke it likes for your purpose .

I see the steel 'Modified' myth is still alive. Remington makes a flush RemChoke that says "Full-Lead or Steel" right on the tube. I believe (don't know) the tightest Invector choke Browning sells that they recommend for steel is their modified choke, but Carlsons, TruLock, and Briley all make steel rated 'Full' tubes. But then you have to check the actual constriction. What Briley calls 'Full' I call Improved Modified.
Make sure whatever tube you get it is rated for steel if you intend to shoot steel shot.
The labelled rating is only a guideline and you really need to shoot some patterns to be sure what is going on. Letting go with a blast at the water and judging by that is real folly.
I have a couple of RedHead chokes and they work as advertised, but they are not steel rated.

How well does your shotgun pattern at 40 yards with the chokes you have?

Haven't even shot it yet, but hope to this weekend. Sure is a lot to think about with this topic! Next up is ducks so I will concentrate on that! Well, maybe a rabbit too.

I've use Carlson Chokes for all my shooting.

If you have a guy you shoot with that has a Browning, you could borrow and trade back and forth in till you find just the right chokes...

baddarryl, I went with Trulock chokes on all my bps', new A5, and my Maxus. 60 day money back or exchange guarantee, company owner answers calls and emails. Their CS is second to none. Give George a call and I'm sure he will recommend a choke for your needs

There aren't a lot of differences between brands that actually affect patterns. It is, after all, a piece of metal with a hole in it constricted by a certain percentage. The advice above about using a pattern board is wise to follow. Just because a choke says it is IC, does not necessarily mean it will give you that pattern in your gun with the ammunition you intend to use.
Start with and see what results you get. If they do not meet your expectations, then get something else and start anew.

Back