What choke tube for slugs??

idaho-ar15

I just finished reading my manual and can't find the answer. I've got a new Browning 3 1/2" BPS shadow grass shotgun with a 28" barrel that I'd like to shoot slugs out of but I don't know which choke to use so I don't detonate my barrel.

thanks
idaho-ar15

Use the most open choke that you have. Probably improved cylinder. Check the tube often while shooting slugs. Sometimes they have a tendancy to unscrew themselves.

Conventional wisdom says with the lead foster type slugs use either cylinder-bore or improved. Slugs can streach tighter chokes and ruin them for shot (though it might make a pretty good slug only choke). The best solution IMO is to buy a dedicated choke tube for slugs, I use an extended Rhino rifled tube and when shooting Federal sabots have no problem keeping 5 shots within a 3" bull at 100yds. -- Kernel

The difference between my unchoked HD and rifle tubed deer 870 with slugs at 100 yards is about an inch in group size.

Since that is about twice as far as the longest shot possible where I hunt, and 3 times as far as the typical shot I take, the difference is not crucial in the real world.

I suggest trying out the most open choke you have for that thing, and the next choke,a nd go with the better grouper.

Back