What choke for standard Trap shooting?

LongDuck

I'm going out this weekend with my father-in-law to shoot some trap and would like some recommendations on which choke to use. This will be a 'fun' outting and he and I have hunted together for 3-4 years, so there's no need for competition or showmanship.

I'm using a Mossberg 500 with 18.5" cylinder bore riot barrel (stop laughing please), ghost-ring sights (please, you're distracting the customers...), and also have the option of my combo hunting barrel; a 24", screw-in choke, bead sight with Full, Improved Modified, and Modified chokes.

I'm obviously not afraid of being laughed off the field with my riot barrel, as this is the one I'm most comfortable with (and have patterned with dove loads). My hunting barrel has also been patterned with the same loads, and I have taken many birds with both barrels (no pun intended).

Any insights appreciated.

I'm just unsure of the ranges and speeds of these targets and want to have the best 'sporting' chance at hitting a few. Thanks,

Glad to hear you are going to be spending soe time with such a sport as trap! Certainly I would use the 24" if I were you. The riot barrel (sorry...I did laugh when I read that!) will give you patterns roughly the size of texas. Nope, get that 24" (normal for trap on a pump is 30") on that Mossy. Then try the Modified choke first. If you seem to be breaking quite a few only in two or three pieces, screw out the modified and in the full. Also, with the length barrel you will be shooting with (24"), your patterns will spread faster. In light of this, get on the targets FAST. If you want to, read the thread "Stock too long for trap?" -- a few guys and I (don't I sound humble? :)) put together what I think is a great thread for trap! So, if you are getting on them when they are still on-the-rise, you have the 24" barrel in, and the modified choke -- you should be set. But if it seems that your patters are too open, first try getting on them faster. After that, change to a full choke. And hey, like I always say -- the birds generally break anyway when they smash into the ground...take pleasure in that! So basically, keep your patterns tight and your swing fast. Have some fun out there!!

Hueco

While I've shot trap with a riot bbl and sights,I do better with a rib and bead setup.
For trap, I'd use the 24" bbl and start out with that Improved Modified tube, and switch if needed.

I'd remove the rear sight,also.

Better yet, get another shotgun dedicated to trap and birds. A GP shotgun is nice, but switching parts around is a pain sometimes, and it's an excuse to get another gun(G).

Whoops, I just noticed that you have an improved modified -- most certainly go with that one first!

Hueco

Try a full choke in your 24" barrel. I have a model 835 with a 28" barrel and have a hard time hitting targets. However, when I shoot with my Winchester 1200, 30" barrel and full choke, I have a hard time missing targets. Granted, I prefer to "dust" them more than just breaking them.

Back