What can you tell me about a Win mod 70

grubbylabs

in 300 win mag.

I am not really sold on the caliber but I am getting the gun in a trade he says brand new they are about $800.00 It is a 2002 or something like that and it has never been shot. It was a raffle prize for the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. any pics and other info would be great thanks

I think it is a synthetic and blued.

The have made some pretty cheap push feed models. The ones with the W moulded in to the stock go pretty cheap. I bought one for $350.

On the other hand if it is the CRF which has the external claw extractor which I think they call the Classic it's worth more. I sold one on Gunbroker in 7 Rem Mag a couple of months ago for $500 .

In 2002, the 70 was made with the claw extractor and called the Classic III. I had a LH Blue/Wood in 7mmRM that I gave to my son. In 300WM, you'd have a caliber that'll cover everything but Kodiak Bear. Fine rifle, accurate and fine cartridge with the preferred 180gr bullets.

I don't think that Winchester stopped making a push feed model until they moved to the FN plant in South Carolina a couple of years ago. Although they added the Classic CRF back to the line up several years ago they kept making a cheaper push feed model.

Can't guess what he has made in 2002.

Zero, I think you are correct. They didn't offer the claw in a blue/syn. They offered blue/wood, ss/wood, and ss/syn. Mine was one of the last runs from the CT plant, costing $800. The Wally Winchesters, in 270, 30-06, 7mmRM, and 300WM, were blue/syn, push feed, and ugly W on the stock.

A rifle with CRF has a large extractor that snaps over the cartridge rim as soon as it comes out of the magazine and holds it all the way into the chamber. It also holds onto a larger portion of the rim than PF and allows for much more relaible extraction. The ejector is also a foolproof blade that does not rely on a spring to eject the spent case after firing. CRF is much more foolproof and rugged. They are usually preferred by guides and hunters going after animals that may bite back.

A PF action simply pushes the round into the chamber and the extractor does not grip the rim until the bolt is closed. If for some reason you pulled the bolt back before closing it the round would be left in the chamber and you could double feed another cartridge into the chamber. The extractor only grasps a tiny portion of the cartridge rim and if you have a hot round or dirty chamber it is more likely to tear the rim and leave empty brass stuck in your chamber. Also, since the ejector is a spring loaded plunger it is easier to malfunction from dirt or rust leaving an empty cartridge sitting on top of your magazine instead of ejecting it.

If everything is clean and in good working order both work fine most of the time. PF rifles are cheaper to make

A rifle with CRF has a large extractor that snaps over the cartridge rim as soon as it comes out of the magazine and holds it all the way into the chamber.

I don't believe it actually "snaps" over the round: the Mauser type extractors on CRF model 70's are not flexible. The rim* of the round slides up under the extactor claw as it comes up out of the magazine......

*Yes, I know they are called "rimless" rounds, but what elses would you call the deal behind the extractor groove?

You are correct. I mis-spoke. On many of the CRF rifles they will not feed a round unless it is first loaded into the magazine so it can slide under the extractor. You cannot just drop a round into the chamber and close the bolt like a PF.

Some newer CRF rifles will snap over the rim and will allow you to do this Rugers and newer Winchesters will. There is some debate that this could be harmful to the extractor. My Winchesters and Rugers don't seem to mind.

There are lots of sources on the web for the Model 70.

As to the .300 mag for the vast majority of shooters it much more heavy than they ever need. The recoil can be quite punishing and it doesn't kill medium game any deader than non-magnum rounds.
It has a bit of an advantage for game at longer distance and was/is a popular long distance target round.

Kimber is another CRF that is not bothered by snapping the extractor over the rim, and it says so in the owner's manual. It also says that it won't hurt your rifle to dry fire it, which is something that I had always heard was a "no no".

CRF definitely has some advantages, but there are a whole bunch of very good and very popular bolt action rifles out there with push feed actions, such as Remingtons and Savages to mention just a couple.

I have one of those Winchester Model 70s with push feed. I got because it was "used" (but not used enough that you could tell it) and I got it for a good price and mostly because it was in a caliber I wanted but was relatively hard to find, 7X57. I bought it for its low recoil to teach my grand kids to deer hunt. Each of them as well my son and myself have taken deer with it. It shoots sub MOA at 200 yards.

Well here is a picture of the bolt.

This is indeed a new in the box gun it has never been fired or had a scope on it. It is gray synthetic and blued.

Attachments

• IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0022.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 39
MAUSER did it right

And the CRF being talked about is the classic Mauser system. Snapping the extractor over the rim of the case (by closing the bolt) does not harm the gun IF IT IS BUILT TO DO THAT. Meaning there is a relief cut for the extractor to move into as it snaps over, and the extractor is bevel cut to make it easier. Not all CRF rifles were made to allow that. Some Mausers aren't made that way, some are. The 1903 Springfield, with its magazine cutoff is made to allow single loading, closing the bolt on a hand chambered round.

Other rifles can have the extractor damaged by doing that. If there is any doubt, ALWAYS feed from the magazine, and all will be well.

Push round feed is not as fragile a thing as it sounds like. Virtually all autoloading rifles use a push feed concept, and it works there pretty well. It works on bolt guns pretty well too. CRF is more rugged and more durable, but for 99% of US hunting and sporting use, push feed is quite adequate.

CRF got its demand from African hunting, where many a PH was sceptical of the push feed rifles when they were introduced to them. Of course, there were also PHs that didn't trust the new fangled magazine rifles and stuck with their proven doubles.

Because it has to work, every time, no matter how you screw it up, CRF is widely considered the only acceptable system on bolt action dangerous game rifles.

Entire books have been written on Model 70 variations, its been around for just a little while now.;)

Back