What can I have shipped to me?

jfrey123

I'm sort of unclear on what exactly I can have shipped directly to a private address. I'm under the impression I could have every part of a firearm shipped to me direct, unless it is part of the chamber.

For example, I can have a pistol frame w/o slide, an AR-15 lower, etc. shipped to me. But a slide, AR upper, etc. needs to go through an FFL. Am I correct?

Alas, you have it exactly backward.

The "firearm" is whatever part of the rifle, pistol, whatever, that is serial numbered. In the case of an AR-15-type rifle, that's the lower receiver. In the case of an automatic pistol, it's the frame.

AR uppers, pistol slides, barrels, everything but the "firearm"—that is, the part with the serial number—can go directly to you. The serial numbered part must go through an FFL dealer, and you must pass the NICS to take possession.

Regards,

Walt

I think you can have black powder guns shipped right to your house except for a few places.
I dont know what happens if you have a conversion cylinder.
If you go to a store I dont think you have to fill out the same paper work, I think buying a BP is like buying a bb gun.

black powder guns and weapons made before 1898 don't count as guns and can bw shipped direct. There are a couple other details,,,

some rifles like the FAL it is the upper reciever that is the controlled part

If you are shipping it to a fellow resident of the same state you can mail it to them directly

If you are recieving your own gun back from a FFL holder you can get it mailed to you.

You can ship your own gun to yourself in another location. If you were going to fly to Minnesota and hunt with your brother you could mail your rifle to yourself, in care of your brother, and it would be OK as long as he didn't open it.

I'm sort of unclear on what exactly I can have shipped directly to a private address. I'm under the impression I could have every part of a firearm shipped to me direct, unless it is part of the chamber.

That is correct for some parts of the world, especially in Europe where the barrel section is considered the firearm. There a pistol slide would be the firearm, while the frame is not. Here in the US the serial # receiver or frame is considered the firearm. Though that is not always the case, with the new SIG P250 pistol the removable trigger assembly is serial #, while the frame is not. This gives the option to own a few different pistol frames with only one interchangeable serial # part.

allykat said:
An FFL or manufacturer can ship directly to you.

This is only true if you shipped it to them first and they were only shipping it back to you after repairs etc.

It would all depend on your state and local laws as well. I know here in PA a long gun can be shipped from one private citizen to another without a FFL.

I'm not sure that all states have this provision. Some localities don't even allow ammunition to be shipped directly to the person's residence.

Back