What caliber for next Shiloh Sharps?

Alex Johnson

I've been thinking, if I was to order a new Shiloh sharps what caliber should I get. I've already got a 45-70 in a #3 sporter so I don't think I need another one of those. Since I will be hunting with it a 45-110 might be nice; but than again, I might like to do some target shooting with it so maybe a 40-65 would be in order. Of course bigger is better, so maybe I should go up to the 50-90, it's sure too bad they don't make the 50-140 anymore. So many options, so little money. :)

Yeah, what you said! ;)

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Do they make one in .38-55? This cartridge was the 6mmPPC of the 19th century. It's not a buffalo cartridge, but in it's day, 1870's to 1900, it held every accuracy record there was. -- Kernel

I have a Sharps in .45-70 and use it to waste powder in BPCR games. I ordered a Lonestar Rolling Block and went with a .45-90. I don't need to stock additional bullets and the longer case will give better performance at 600+ yards.

If I was planning more offhand, match shooting I'd go with the .38-55. For BPCR and hunting, I'd think about a .40-65. The .38-55 would be OK for smaller game, but I don't know that I'd want to use it for deer or elk. I haven't come across many people who seem to really enjoy the 100+ grain cartridges like the 50-110.

Back