What bushing to use?

Grant 14

I am setting up for 20 gauge 1 oz lead field loads with a Lee Load-All. With all of the shortages I finally ended up with Fiocchi primed hulls, Claybuster wads (Win WAA20 substitutes) and Longshot powder. When I go to the Lee bushing chart, they dont list Longshot. How do I determine which bushing to use? All I can think of is putting any bushing in and seeing what it throws and then swap for bigger or smaller to get the correct weight of charge .
Any suggestions on some other way to do it? Thanks, Grant.

Go to the Hodgdon website and menu through the shotshell reloading and see what is recommended loads for Longshot, then take what ever you have in bushing and dump and weight a couple of charges to find what is closest to recommended and slowly open the ID till you get the correct weight.
Or call LEE and talk to the tech departemnt/

I looked at Hodgdon and didnt find what I was looking for. I had not thought of calling Lee. That makes a lot of sense. Thank You, Grant.

The Hodgdon data for 1 oz loads shows WAA20 wad and longshot for Fiocchi hulls.

Google "Lee bushing chart longshot". You will find a chart with longshot. Be sure to weigh the charges to verify. I haven't found a load that matches the Lee chart yet. Some are close, none are real close.

ballistic Products site says the CB wads are good for 7/8 to 1 1/8 oz, so that isnt my concern. The loading data shows that wad and Longshot but the issue that I have is that the Lee data doesnt list a powder bushing for that combination. I will call Lee in a while and if that doesnt help, I will put a random bushing in and weigh a few charges and go larger or smaller on the bushings to get to the proper weight. Yes I have two different electronic scales and they agree with each other, so I am OK on that point. If I cant find a bushing that exactly matches the data, I will go with the next size smaller, not the larger. I am just hoping to not have to start at a random point. I will let you know if calling Lee helps. Thanks, Grant.

Lee does no testing of anything themselves. They use Hodgdon data. Still be a good idea to call or e-mail them or Hodgdon.
"...Hodgdon data for..." The only 20 Ga LongShot data on Hodgdon's site uses 2.75" Fiocchi/PMC Target shells with a GU 2021, low base wad. Whatever that is. I think having to use a specific shell is why I don't load shotgun. snicker.

GU would be a Gualandi wad; they are sold by BPI
and for a 1oz load, it needs a 3" hull, according to Gualandi/BPI

I have decided to not bother with the bushings. Since these are new hulls I can do the powder charge with my old Hornady powder measure and start with the wad placement using the Load All. I will throw enough samples to adjust the measure to a "Middle of the Road" charge and go from there. By the time I get around to RE-LOADING these same hulls, I will have gotten used to the Load All enough to experiment with bushings. Right now the path of least resistance will work and be safe. Thanks for all of the advice. Grant.

Don't believe BPI about the wads. CBer makes different wads for different weight charges. I've used CBer wads for over 10 years and they don't make one that is good for 7/8 to 1 1/8oz loads. All you have to concern yourself with is what bushing throws the amount of powder the data calls for. The Fiocchi hulls don't use Win wads or their subs. Go to the Hodgdons web site to find the correct wad and amount of powder for that hull. Then you can weigh different bushings powder drop to find the correct one.

Euro hulls use straight-walled wads, Federal types and clones are designed for that. Winchester and Remington hulls are tapered and use a different wad for a better fit.

Claybusters # CB 1078-20 says 7/8 to 1 1/4 oz and to use WAA 20 data. It does say OPTIMUM load is 7/8 oz. My Lyman #5 reloading manual lists Fiocchi with Longshot and 1 oz. using WAA 20 wads and the Claybusters say to use WAA data. I think possibly the confusion is that Claybuster makes another 20 gauge wad that is for (I believe) 3/4 oz. loads.
Back to my original question about powder bushngs. I think I have solved it in 2 different ways. I spent a long time trying to get my Dads old powder measure to throw the correct charge. Two different drums and not enough adjustment on them to get the right charge. I finally found another size adjustment ram in a box of old parts and tried it. It works fine and I get within 1/10 grain consistently. After all of that, I found a reference to Lee Load All in the back of the Lyman book that listed the correct bushing for Longshot. It is funny that the Lee data doesnt show Longshot and an older shotshell book that I have also doesnt. I am going to load a half dozen shells and go up to the ranch and make some noise today (with safe practices) and if they seem fine I will try the bushing and see if it actually throws the correct charge. It is slowly coming together. I will post the results. Thanks to all of you. Grant.

Last edited:
Back