What brand Sizer Luber do you recommend?

awbrock

I'm planning on doing some casting in the future.

What suggestions do you have on a good Sizer Luber?

I want something that will last but not break the bank, the bank is fairly small, but I'm planning on gradually acquiring equipment. I've been looking at the RCBS and the Lyman at Midway. I have also thought about Lee's tumble lube "system". Right now I have a .357mag 9mm and .45acp that I'd like to cast for. I want to keep options open for a .44mag and .45LC may be play with a cast rifle bullet in the future.

RCBS and Lyman both work nicely.

Yes, and they both use the same dies.

That said, there's nothing wrong with the lee system EXCEPT the choice for different diameters is rather limited. AND they don't apply lube. That means you have to either use Lee Liquid Alox,(LLA), or pan lube then size in the push lee through sizer. Yes you can use LLA on bullets that are NOT tumble lube design.

The other option is the star lube-sizer. It's much faster in that it's a straight line/push through sizer. Bad part is it's expensive. There's no need for top punches like the lyman/RCBS uses, because you're pushing on the base of the bullet, nose first.

Magma Star - http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396089 Post #5

I had a lyman, and it worked great..but slower. Plus, getting the right top punches to fit the different bullet styles can be a pain...good thing is they are not too terribly expensive.

Then I got my Star (pictured in link above) and haven't looked back. It has cut my sizing/lubing time down to 1/3 of what it use to be.

If you don't shoot a whole lot, then the Lyman/RCBS is probably the way to go. The Star is a bit more $$$, but is a pleasure to use.

i could write a book on my opinion in this case. i can give you a more explained opinion if u want through private message. i did the tumble lube for awhile... its a pain and when i went and got my lyman lube-sizer i was relieved. in my humble book of correct opinion getting a lubersizer will be the best option you wont regret it by any means. i got the lyman 4500 and have been very pleased with it. they do take some getting used to on working them as you would find with any new machine but trial and error provides a very good end result. i would go with the extra money and get either rcbs or lyman. good luck!

The star is great, poops out a bullet every pull and doesn't get lube all over the base. Unless there has been a design change, I don't remember being able to do gas checks. I don't know for a fact, (didn't even know stars were still available new), but I suspect they are big bucks. they were big bucks 20 years ago.

Yes, Star sizers can do gas checks. I think I paid right around $250 for mine new...and the heater was $100 more dollars. Magma Engineering is now making the Star sizer.

I have the RCBS Lube-A-Matic 2. It's well built (like all RCBS stuff) and works just fine for me. I purchased a heater too, as my reloading bench is in my garage, which dips down to 55 deg. F in the winter.

I'd really like a Star lubrisizer, but it will have to wait for the time being.

awbrock,
i retired the lyman and rcbs lubri-sizers i'd used for almost 40 years when i discovered lee's liquid alox lube and push-thru sizers.

lee's bullet sizer dies include enough liquid alox for a couple of thousand bullets, affix gas-checks, fit in a reloading press, cost less than half what lyman or rcbs dies cost, require no fitted top punches, and require less of your time.

the liquid alox-based system also produces a finished bullet that i've yet to find "leads-up" any of my guns at velocities up to 2000 fps.

budman

I wold have to recommend the Lyman sizers because that is what I have and all I have ever used (except the Lee kit. bleh).

Lyman stuff works but damn, I wish it were faster, didn't ooze at the base so much but the price is right and it lasts forever.

I've been lookin over the fence at the Star guys for a long time now. Looks pretty green over there. I think the only thing holding me back is that I'm pretty sure Lyman type size dies wont work in the Star.

SO there you have it. Lyman works, get the Star.

I have used the Lyman for about 30 years, I did have to change the lube press screw, one time, my fault, I should have been using the heater, cool temp and a stiffer lube, the replacement is much stronger, The tumble lube I have tried off and on, but just did not like the mess, And with tumble lube even cutting it with mineral spirits you are going to get build up in your seating die, so you want to keep a close eye on your OAL. The more the lube builds up the deeper the bullet is seating, and you will be increasing the rounds presser, For the money the Lyman is pretty hard to beat. I would check Mid-South shooters on line, some times there prices are a little better than Mid-Way

I've been lookin over the fence at the Star guys for a long time now. Looks pretty green over there. I think the only thing holding me back is that I'm pretty sure Lyman type size dies wont work in the Star.

Well come on over and join us. You won't be disappointed! Faster, no more extra loob on bevel based boolits, one top punch, and also does gas checks No, the Lyman sizer dies do not work on the star. There is a gentleman over on Cast Boolits that will custom make star sizer dies cheaper than you can buy from Magma and the quality is just as good if not better.

Have used both Lyman and RCBS Lube/Sizers over the years. I prefer Lyman because of the ratcheting pressure handle. It seems easier to manipulate precisely to avoid over-pressure on the lube and subsequently getting lube on the bases.

lyman and rcbs dies and top punches are interchangeable with the lyman and rcbs sizers. If you cant find one you want in lyman, then go to rcbs.

I have a Lyman. It works great with plain-based bullets. All my bullet molds have bevel bases, which doesn't work worth a damn. (RCBS wouldn't be any better)

I need to see if I can drill or Dremel out the bases on my molds...

awbrock said:
I want something that will last but not break the bank, the bank is fairly small, . . . I have also thought about Lee's tumble lube "system". Right now I have a .357mag 9mm and .45acp
Try the Lee Size & Lube system.

I had a similar thought process when I first started casting. After reviewing internet boards and articles, I figured if I wanted top notch sizing setup, I would also get the Magna Engineering Star setup because I like the bottom push approach and the lube handling.

But I also figured that before I spent $250, I should at least try the Lee $14 approach using their sizing die plus tumble lube.

Thousands and thousands of bullets later, I always seem to have other gun-related things I'd rather buy for $250 first. Never got around to the Star because the Lee system is simple, easy, and works just fine. I am using it for 9mm, .40S&W, .44 Rem Mag, and .45 ACP.

Also, I didn't know this when I first started, but the tumble lube approach works just fine for normal design bullets. You do NOT have to get Lee's Tumble Lube molds to use the tumble lube approach. For example, one of my .44 bullets is the Lyman 429215 gas-checked SWC. It works just fine with tumble lube and the Lee sizer handles the gas checks without problem.

If I had it to do over, I wouldn't have bought ANY of the TL mold designs. That way I would have the option of upgrading to the Star sometime down the road without changing molds. Get traditional design molds and try to Lee sizer.

After all, you might as well try the $14 answer. If you don't like it, you can sell it and maybe you will be out $4 or $5. Not exactly a financial risk.

As for me, I could still spend $250 for a Star setup. But I have my eye on a new chronograph that I want more. And after the chronograph, I want to get a second lead furnace with PID controller. And after the lead furnace, . . .

The Star sizer is about 25th on my "wish list".

Back