What brand of ammo is best for my .38 S&W 642 snubbie?

vmaam

I shot some Cor-Bon 110 gr.+p and it was all over the place. What have y'all found that seems to agree with the 2" barrel?

642 Ammo

I like the Federal 125 Nyclads, NOT in +P. I have never shot them for groups, they are quite accurate enough for the purpose, as evidenced by qualification targets. Mainly, I like them because they don't beat me with recoil, and they may, and I stress may, actually expand in a target and transfer some energy since they have no jacket and the hollow point is sizeable. I just like the idea of standard pressure loads in aluminum guns. I'm skeptical that any load will expand out of a snub, so I prefer minimized recoil and maximized control. I think a search of this forum will produce some comments about Cor-Bon's quality, pro and con.

38 snub ammo

I carry COR-BON Bee Safe ammo in my 642. I've shot a pack and it grouped just fine for it's intended purpose. It doesn't recoil so much as to cause a problem either. I have been involved in some testing with it and liked the performance that "I" saw!

As far as the quality of COR-BON ammo, I've never had a problem with it and have shot quite a bit of it.

i use federal nyclad 125 grain hollowpoint, standard pressure also.
i have read in many sources that this is an excellent
ammo to use in short barreled .38s as it will expand
reliably.

I too favor the standard pressure 125 grain Nyclad HP for Airweights that are not +P rated. I chronographed these at 845 from a 1 7/8" S&W, and virtually the same velocity from a 2" Colt Cobra, for just a hair under 200 foot-pounds of mechanical energy. The +P version of the 125 grain Nyclad chronographed at 875 fps -- probably a negligible increase.

Testing of several +P loads leads me to believe that there is not a whole lot of benefit to using +P loads in a snubby. However, individual load testing may reveal an edge you feel is worthwhile.

Also consider that hollow points may not expand at the velocities produced in such short barrels. The 125 Nyclad is designed to expand at the velocities it actually produces.

I still like the +P 158 grain LSWC-HP, but I consider the 125 grain standard pressure Nyclad a fine load from an alloy-framed snubby.

In an Airweight (like the 642) or an AirLite (like the 342), I'd also suggest Federal 125-grain Nyclads, in the standard pressure load, even though the gun may be rated for +P. Winchester 158-grain LSWCHP +P is another fine round, although I personally use it only in steel-framed revolvers.

My 1 1/2 cent. :)

The 642 will take 158 Lead Hollowpoint +P without undue stress. Any brand is OK. It is the round of choice, IMHO.

Hello. After much experimentation, shooting, and accuracy tests, I went with the Federal standard pressure 125 gr HP.
It chronographed 886 ft/sec from my S&W M042 and expanded well in test media from "wetpack" to water and a few varmints I managed to connect with. It hit point of aim for me from my revolver as well. Best.

i've carried my 642 for 7 years as a backup gun and off duty. i started with the 158gr LSWCHP +p because i couldn't find the nyclad loadings at the time. recoil was stout but controlable with monogrips, less so with bootgrips. the 125gr nyclad is very comfortable to shoot and appeals to my sense of balance; pure lead, slick nylon coating, good accurracy and improved 2nd shot ability. i'm trying out the federal personal defense hydra-shok; i love the inverted cone principle

Some clarification

For users of the Nyclad 125 JHP, please go to the following link for penetration performance data:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs31.htm

When fired from a Smith & Wesson Model 60 2" revolver.

Chronographed at 743 fps.

Was rated unsatisfactory regarding penetration in bare gelatin tests.

Was rated satisfactory in the denim test.

Something to consider if you are carrying Nyclads.

Hopefully, the +P version of that load will provide the little bit of extra 'umpf' nescessary to push that bullet a little deeper; much the same way as the .357 version of the 125 gr. Remington Golden Saber does as compared to the .38 +P version.

I have never understood why Federal doesn't take that 125 gr. Nyclad, lengthen it about 3/8 inches so that it weighs about 158 gr. or so, and then load it to +P velocities. This bullet, with its deep, wide cavity, and its fragile design, has proven again and again that it will expand WELL at velocities under 800 fps. The problem is getting it to penetrate after it has opened up the size of a nickel.

The current 158 gr. SWCLHPs, Federal's Nyclad included, expand poorly from 2 inch barrels because their hollow cavities are too narrow, and the SWC shoulder works to prevent expansion simmilar to the way a jacket does on a JHP. The 125 gr. Nyclad, however, expands at a nearly identical velocity as is acheived from a 2 inch barrel by the 158 gr. +P SWCLHPs--750 to 850 fps.

What about

Winchester Supreme 130 grn +P SXT's? I picked up a box for my 642 tonight...bad round? Good round? Haven't heard or seen too much about them. Interested if anyone has any comments.

Back