What bore cleaners better...Hoppes or shooters choice?

• Thread starter Thread starter BrianBeretta
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BrianBeretta

i am going to go buy a bore cleaner today. I heard mpro7 is good but i want to get something i can find in the stores, and other reccomendations? What has the weakest odor?

I use "shooters choice". It works although it smells pretty much....but then again it cleans my bore..No experience with Hoppes though.

Krispijn

I prefer Breakfree CLP to all of them, and in some private tests (on the Curio & Relics list) they found that CLP had the best rust/corrosion resistance, too. Mpro-7 was pretty good, too.

Hoppe's BenchRest vs. Shooter's Choice

They both smell :) Shooter's is a bit more aggressive of two. Be very careful around the bedding. It also eats up certain finish as well. It does shorten your cleaning time if that's what you are after. Personally I prefer Hoppe's since it doesn’t attack bedding and finish as quick as Shooter's. It does take a while for Hoppe's to work on copper fouling. I usually soak the bore overnight(don't do that with Shooter's or Sweet's!). I have no experience with Hoppe's No.9, but I heard that it would attack aluminum.

I forgot this is a handgun forum, so bedding shouldn't be a problem. Just watch for the finish and plastic (might get wrinkled by the cleaner).

Walt, just curious as I use Break Free CLP on the exterior of my firearms but have never used it as a bore cleaner. Do you use it as a bore cleaner as well?

Given the choice between only Shooter's Choice and Hoppe's, like several here, I'd go with Shooter's Choice. Hoppe's changed their formula many years ago (in the '70's I think) most likely because of some OSHA dictate. The old formula was superior to today's even though it still smells just about the same. If you want to use Hoppe's get the brown bottle, not the yellow (more Cu dissolving solution in it).

Assuming you want advice for handguns only and since this applies to more than just semiautos, I'll move it to the General Handgun Forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back