What binocular for zero AR15?

MP9

Hi guys.

I got an ar15 with a red dot. I went yesterday to the range to zero in it. but I had to fire like 12 shots. then wait like for 10 minutes to go downrange and check the hits.. (25, 50 and 100 yards).

Probably I could go couple more times or sometimes if it need any adjust but it is not that I will be going every 2 weeks or something like that. I borrowed a binocular from a guy I could see at 50 yards. but not sure if binoc will work at 100 yards.

what binocular will do this job?.there are the Bushnell Falcon at walmart, $30.. 10x50, so not sure if this are just fine.

It will be used mostly for zero in my rifle 50/100 yards. and may be a feww times just shoot for fun at 100 yards..

thanks

You need QUALITY over magnification. Fuzzy & big won't show bullet holes well.
Look at things like the Cabela's hose brand in 10X or 12X for a good value that you won't replace within a year.
I have their 8.5X44 & they work well with .30 holes but are borderline with the smaller .22 holes that's where a little extra mag will help you out.
Target color makes a huge difference as well bullet holes show up better on red/white targets than black grey.

As a guy with a lot of optics, I'll suggest a spotting scope over binoculars. Seeing 22cal holes at 100 yards will be difficult with any binos having enough
magnification to even make it possible. The higher the magnification, the more your natural pulse and shakiness will be magnified, making viewing very difficult.

A spotter mounted on a photographer's tripod will do the job nicely.

Many options !!!

I have used a 10X monocular for a number of years, that works well at that range. I also have 1/2 if an 8X binocular that got damaged and just cut off the bad half. It works but not as good as my 10X. Lots of choices here !!!

Be Safe !!!

I just bought a 10 or 15x monocular off amazon for about 15 bucks, I also bought a small tripod for 5 bucks off amazon, I was going to try that setup. I am having the exact same problem with my AR except I did not have anything to see down range except for the small zoom lens that came with my red dot. I was shooting at 25 yrds.

You need QUALITY over magnification. Fuzzy & big won't show bullet holes well.

Exactly. At 25 yards indoors, and 50 yards outdoors (with more light), just my Leupold Yosemite 6x30s or Kowa 8x30 yfs work, but when you go to 75, 100, or more, you need a spotting scope or higher quality binos, like a Vanguard, Vortex, Eagle, Pentax, Audubon, Leupold, Zen-Ray - the usual suspects of mid-level quality - in the 10 or 12 power range with 40-43mm objectives, and even then that may work only in bright sunlight at 100. If you can swing it, get the ED2s or ED3s from Zen-Ray - then you'll be in high cotton for both the range, and spot-n-stalk western hunts - something like the 10x43 ED3. Just almost as good as Zeiss / Swaro / Leica, but less than half the price.

http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/binoculars/zened3.html

But better yet, invest in a spotting scope and tripod. Getting a GOOD tripod is really more important than a good spotter, IMO, if you're just talking about 100 yards. Or at least a mid-level, not the cheap crap tripods you find in Walmart. Now if you're talking 200 yards and beyond, you'd best get a good tripod and at least mid-level spotter that can go up to around 30 or 40 power or more preferably, with a 65mm or larger objective lens.

and oh yeah, the dirty bird / shoot n see type targets do help.

Last edited:
Getting a GOOD tripod is really more important than a good spotter
I don't know about more, but definitely as important.

The wobbly spaghetti-legged ones that come with most scopes are a complete joke!

Get a solid real one bigger than you think you need, it'll be almost enough!:eek:
DSCF0254_zpsa9fd4450.jpg

If the price of a good tripod shocks you, look for them at consignment shops, Goodwill, Salvation Army stores and the like.
They seem to always have some.
As an alternative, mount the scope on a weight.
Works good on a bench, too.

Spotting scope is your friend. Pawnshops are a good place to find one at a reasonable price. Plus its usually easier to negotiate with a pawnshop over price.

When I shoot, I typically staple up 2 targets, I like the kind that have multiple rings, one in each corner and one in the center. That gives me ten different aiming points to shoot at, so the 15 minutes between ceasefires can be utilized efficiently.

scopes

Interesting. Yes, I agree with the spotting scope option. Champion's Choice has a very serviceable line of 50mm spotters at $110.I have two of them and they work very nicely well past 100 yards.
What I find interesting is that most of the binocular recommendations are in the 8-12x range while spotting scopes generally start at 12x-15x and go up from there.
Pete

Its a question of holding steady. Scopes tend to be rigidly tripod mounted but binoculars are more for hand held use.
Anything much above 12X will be very hard to use as even heartbeat will cause that bumpity-BUMP vibration making it hard to use.
More recent image stabilized models have been a big help but we were discussing low cost alternatives which they aren't.
The scope I showed earlier is 26X with a 54X option by changing the eyepiece, but its such a tight FOV that the 4X spotting scope is really a great aide.

steady

Its a question of holding steady.

Good point;
As to IS binos (image stabilized). Yes, they are a great help. Yes, they are more expensive. I have two pairs of IS bios..Fujinon and Canon..and they are worth every penny.
Canon, especially, has been extending their line and the sizes available though they ain't cheap in ay case.
One bino that I read a good report about is the Pentax UCF zoom for under $100.
Pete

Back