What barrel for wild boar hunting?

sigar

Inactive
I plan on trying to use my 11-87 for wild boar. What barrel would be best? Are rifled barrels generally better than rifled slugs? How well does buck shot work for boar. Thanks.

buck werks great at ranges under 35 yards or so i find on em,id go modified,scoped and with magnum punkin balls myself.set scope for 80-100 yards to play it safe in the bush.........

Never have hunted hogs myself, but I'd use a smoothbore bbl, a peep sight, and Brennekes.

Smoothbore for using 00 as a backup round, a peep for fast sight acquisition and accuracy, and Brennekes for the awesome effect they have on impact. Also, since my best tree climbing days are long past, I'd shoot to break at least one shoulder on the hog.

Hope this helps...

I use a Rem 870 with a Hastings rifled barrel with a red dot scope on a cantilever mount. Handloaded Lyman sabot slugs. My method of hunting...let'em come as close as my nerves can take it and slug 'em in their face 'til they drop. They have yet to take more than 3 hits and they have yet to tree me. The closest one has made it is 9 feet.WHAT AN ADRENALINE RUSH :D

Think I got the perfect boar gun, Benelli M1 Tactical, Aimpoint5000 reddot, and 3" brenneke magnum 3" 1 3/8 oz. slugs, good to about 100 yards.

works great on coyotes waiting to try boar hunting.

Back