What are the proper lubrication products to use.

S.F.S

Hello All I have been shooting revolvers for about a year and Im new to shooting semi-autos and bolt action rifles, so hopefully you can give me some knowledge here.
Is Break-Free CLP as sufficient as grease, to use on semi-auto slides, rifle bolts and such without causing undo wear on the parts.
Also one other question is Break-Free CLP better lubrication than Rem-oil?
Also what kind of oil do you guys have success with?

I was told by a Tetra rep that their product called Action Blaster (which is a degreaser) and Tetra SLC which is a degreaser and lubricant are both safe to use on Polymer frame hand guns with no dulling or etching of the frame. Has any of you all ever used either of these products to clean a polymer frame gun?

Sorry for the long post and
Thanks In Advance for your help...

[Edited by S.F.S on 04-28-2001 at 10:55 PM]

BreakFree CLP for oiling, and TetraGrease for greasing.

Don't know nuthin about cleanin....

----------------------------------

"all my handguns are filthy handguns"

SFS, Breakfree is excellent...and so is EEZOX if you can find it...I use a dab of Rigg +P grease on my slide rails just to be sure my pistol never runs dry...Just my preferences, the important thing is regular care...Some people clean after each range session..I usually go thru 3 or 4 hundred rounds first....No problems...

Brothers & Sisters at Arms,
CJO,

If you have any of the EEZOX left, how about looking at the label and providing the manufacturers name?

S.F.S., try this:
http://www.tecrolan.com/
Cleaner, lubricant and protectant all in one can!

Regards,
Lance Gothic
Shibumi

I'd second EEZOX as a good, solid cleaner/lubricant.

That being said, I typically use good ol' Hoppe's #9 on the barrel and then EEZOX as my lube.

The can reads:

EEZOX, Inc.
P.O. Box 772
Waterford, CT 06385

I'm sure they can point you to a distributor in your area. Stock up! It works! :D

For cleaning, Simple Green for my Glocks. I then blast them with air to dry them. If fouling still remains, Hoppes #9.

The lube job is done with a Teflon spray lube that leaves a nice, dry film that does not attract dirt or grit.

One out of every five lubes is done with G-Lube instead. Does this help? I don't know; it's just something I do for kicks.

I have started to use BreakFree LP (not CLP). I am really surprised with how well it lubricates.The guns I have used it on are really slick. I don't like WD-40 on guns and with something like LP I don't think there is any need for grease.

P.S. My dad can whip ANYBODY's Dad and Mobil 1 sounds good to me.

I agree with CJO. Breakfree (or Royco) CLP, or Eezox, for general wipe down of all parts and light lubing. A good synthetic grease (e.g., RIG +P Stainless grease) for "high load" applications like slide rails, bolt lugs, etc.

I clean with Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber, which cleans, lubes, and protects against rust. Then I wipe it all down and apply dot 3 tansmission fluid to lube all moving parts. I'll probably start using plain motor oil if the TF ever runs out.

I use a teflon grease from Wilson for my carry pistols that are not frequently fired. Won't drip or run off on a hot day.

I have been using Mobil 1 for my daily shooters. It is relatively cheap and excellent.

Thought it was somthing original but I learned on another post on this forum that it is quite commonly used.

Don't use WD40 anywhere near a firearm. It is a fantastic product for what it is intended, which is not firearms. A bulletin sent out 20 years ago to all police agencies warned that many cops were wiping down their gun on the outside and it would travel clear to the cartridges, bypass the primer seal and kill the primer. All those cops walking around with duds. Also, it is not much of a lubricant.

My buddy copies the top dawgs. He uses only CLP. Another friends Dad is extremely knowlegeable and only uses CLP.

I've yet to decide.

Anything BUT WD-40

WD-40 is the gunsmith's friend! It penetrates everywhere and gums up everything. I can best explain it as a light kerosene for penetration (that's what kills the primers) with dissolved shellacs that coat everything with a purple gooy haze as it eventually cures.

In the gun shops and smitty shops WD-40 sends in more guns than any other one cause; here on the ocean it even beats salt water as a cause for gun malfunction.

Stay away from it completely for guns, fishing reels, etc. It just gums up the works eventually. It does sometimes take a while though.

Back