What are the most interesting guns of WWII

Correia

I'm putting this in the general forum, because if pertains to rifles, pistols, subguns, and machine guns.
Just what do you think the most interesting guns of World War II are?
I was reading about the guns of that era, and I believe that the most interesting design was the German FG 42. It was manufactured by Krieghoff, and used by the Luftwaffa paratroopers.
It had a detachable box magazine on the left side of the gun and held 20 rounds of full power 7.92 mauser. It was capable of full auto, and was relatively controllable because it had such a straight stock and pistol grip.
The reason I think this thing is such a neat idea, it did the same thing as the BAR only it weighed a lot less. In fact it did the same thing as the M-14 only 15 years earlier.
Just wanted to get some opinions from you more educated folks. Thanks.

I vote for the German MG-42 and MP/STG-44. They both set the pattern for each class for the remainder of the 20th century and beyond.

FG42? manufactured by Krieghoff!

I know Krieghoff built some interesting Lugers, but never heard about the FG42. Where can I find more information about it?

As to the most interesting gun, how about those single shot .45acp pistols that were dropped to partisans. Just the thing to take out a tiger Tank ;) To unload after firing you had to shove a wooden dowell down the muzzle to extract the fired shell casing!

As to the most effective arm, the Browning M2 50 cal gets my vote.

Geoff Ross

------------------
Damn!...I need more practice!

I also vote for the FG-42.

Added to what was said above, in full auto it fired from an open bolt, and in semi if fired from a closed bolt.

Although on the american side the johnson automatic rife is interesting also from what I have read.

Jason

K80Geoff, Try Small Arms of the World, by Edward C. Ezell. There is another book called something like "German infantry weapons of WWII" I can't remember the exact title, or author. Col. George Chin, the guy who invented the mk19 grenade launcher thought that the Fg42 was the best weapon of the war.
And speaking of the M2, I saw my first one at a gun store last week. And they only wanted $9999 for it. I was just a little short, and they wouldn't accept visa. :)

Correia and K80Geoff, the FG.42, (which is much shorter than "Fallschrimjagergewehr 1942", has kind of an odd history, too. The following excerpts are from German Small Arms by AJR Cormack (Exeter Books, 1979)...

"Although the total number of FG.42 weapons produced was relatively small, the weapon has always been held up as an example of the ideal weapon and was an innovation in weapons design. There are a number of reasons why the ideal weapon cannot, by its varied requirements exist, but the FG.42 did represent an attempt to provide paratroop forces with a fast-firing automatic rifle and an effective light machine gun. The Luftwaffe decided that the short bolt action carbine was inadequate in combat, as was the short range submachine gun. Availible machine guns were bulky and too heavy for comfortable air drop. Therefore, in 1940 the Luftwaffe put the design parameters of a new weapon to a number of firms, of which only two Rheinmetall and Krieghoff took up the project. This small acceptance becomes clearer when it is remembered that both Walther and Mauser were involved in Sturmgewehr projects and thus felt that another new weapon might confict with their army commitment. There is little doubt that service rivalry also played a part in the desire for a seperate Fallschirmjager weapon.

The Krieghoff weapon designed by Henry Krieghoff was not accepted. Some sources state that it was a gas operated rifle with a vertical sliding block type of locking system.

The design of Louis Stange of Rheinmetall was accepted and by early 1942 a prototype was availible for test. The weapon wass sufficiently successful for a request for a production batch of 3,000 was made. It is possible that the use of the full-power 7.92mm cartridge could be questioned as, when the FG.42 was used as a light machine gun, it fell short of expectations, being somewhat unstable. Permision which was required for all expenditure of labor and material, was granted. The design called for high quality alloy steel and although a lower grade manganese type was eventually used, this also was soon in short supply. Consequently, approximately only two-thirds of the desired quantity was produced. During the production run the trigger guard was modified to a stamping.

A major redesign was carried out. The new weapon was longer and heavier, the magazine was changed, the stock was manufactured from wood instead of steel, the pistol grip was made nearer to vertical and the trigger group was removeable. A four-position gas regulator was fitted, the bolt spring and the recoil spring were changed to a wound-wire type, a case deflector was fitted and the bayonet mount and muzzle brake were changed. Some of the early type weapons had a scope mount fitted as an extra, but all later types had the scope mount intergral with the weapon.

Although the changes were so extensive the the new weapons had only an external family resemblance, the method of operation was not changed. Major production was carried out by Kreighoff as the Rheinmetall plant lacked production facilities. All weapons had 'fzs' code stamp for Kreighoff, but none have Waffenamt numbers as they were supplied for a private Luftwaffe contract."

In small arms I would rate the Stg.44 as the most interesting, as it lead to all modern combat rifles, even if it was rather heavy. If you want to include the "big boys", I would think the Hochdruckpumpe (HDP) "supergun" would fit the bill. It was a 15-cm gun made up of 40 sections with 28 powder charges that detonated sequentially to boost the outgoing round. It fired projectiles that were eight-foot long, 150 lb. "arrows" at a muzzle velocity of 4500 fps with a range of 80 miles. According to Major General Leslie E. Simon, USA, "Its tests were regarded as successful although the barrel expolded about once in every three shots." I don't think I'd call that "successful"!

My votes go to the MG42 and the StG44. The most influential was the latter, since it was the inspiration for all later assault rifles (which is what Sturmgewehr means), but both fostered the making of firearms by using stampings for major parts.

Other interesting weapons were the FG42, the STEN, the Liberator pistol, and the M1 rifle. The latter because it proved that a semi auto rifle could be made rugged enough for general service use. The FP-45 Liberator was interesting, but had zero influence on the war, apparently never being fired in anger.

Jim

Most interesting:
The M3 Greasegun. Slow rate of fire, BIIIIG .45 slug. Cheap, reliable, took a beating.

The best? M1 Garand.

Good book on the FG42 is "Death From Above" available from Collectors' Grade Publications.

My vote goes for the Stgw44 family. While not the first "assault weapon" (Ezell gives credit to Federov), it spawned an entire new generation of firearms both in the Eastern and Western bloc nations.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Got to go with the mg 42, "Hitlers zipper" which was Feared by Alied grunts. Second I go with the SG 44,the Second operational assault rifle(The Russian Federov of WWI was the first ,believe it or not) in history which saw heavy use on the eastern front mostly and was a big surprise to Russian troops. Third is the Garand.

Republicthunderbolt, thanks for the information. This is what I meant when I asked for the opinions of more educated folks.
I agree about the stg44. Innovative gun. I was able to see one at the Berman museum in Annniston Alabama that had the infamous "shoot around corners" barrel. It was curved, and had a large mirror for a sight. Apparently it was to be used for firing from inside armored personel carriers. Not for shooting around corners.

Overall Most interesting: FG42 (I have to agree - uniqueness of design, sort of a predecessor to the Stoner system)

Honorable Mention: MP44 - very effective, versatile weapon - not quite a rifle, not quite a submachine gun. The U.S. version (the M1 carbine) had a longer run of use, but just wasn't as powerful, effective, or innovative, IMHO.

Most interesting, country by country:

US - Iver Johnson - just plain weird.
Britain - Sten - a $20 SMG. Efficiency of design combined with effectiveness.
Germany - see above.
Italy - ??? (Don't remember the name of it, but it was a Baretta-mfg SMG) - Carcano gets honorable mention, mostly because of JFK
France - ??? - can't think of any.
Poland - Radom pistol - quality, reliability, longevity.
USSR - PPSh 41 - Rude, crude, and idiot-proof. Lots of firepower, easily controllable, cheap & easy to make (they were churning them out in Stalingrad while the city was under seige). And just plain ugly. I'd also have to mention the PPSh 43.

BigA$$Rifle.

I have never had to carry a rifle very far, so let my ignorance proclain that Mr. Browning designed the gun for me. If I could just get my hands on one...

P-51 Mustang.
P-38 Lightning.
Fockewolfe 190.
Churhill's Crocodile flamer tank.
Germanie's U-boats.
Liberator .45.
Silenced Walthers.

Shoot - I dont have time to list them all.

------------------
"Supreme authority derives from a mandate from the masses. Not from some farsicle aquatic ceremony."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

I feel the single most interesting collectible WW-II item to be Finnish Mosin Nagant variant m/28-30(the civil guard modell)specifically unit number:60974. It is the very same gun that Simo Häyhän shot all his confirmed hits with as a sniper.(500+!)
More info at: http://www.snipercountry.com/sniphistory.htm#SimoHayha

An other interesting object is Suomi M-31. The PPSh is lame copy of the above.
Here is an interesting site about the Suomi smg: http://personal.inet.fi/business/reflex.suppressors/suomi1.html

One very interesting object is allso Finnish MG-42variant that was modified to fire 7.62X54R round with special belt to take care of the rim of the case. I believe that only a couple of prototypes exist. This weapon turned out to be most excelent but the manufacturing turned out to be imbossiple due to the reason that germans couldn't provide the necessary stamped parts
and there wasn't proper facility in Finnland during the war that could produce the necessary machinery and tooling for the stampping production line.

Gattling

Finn M-39
Finn 1896 Mauser
* any gun used to fight both the russians and the germans has to be of intrest

Boys Anti-tank Rifle
Russian PTRD / PTRS Anti-tank Rifle

US-M1-Carbine made by RockOla (talk about music)

Austrian M-95 - The only stright pull used in any number.

and the list goes on and on ....

Back