What are the limits on a destructive device?

dakota.potts

If you had the money, how big of a destructive device could you own? I hear a lot how during the time of the framers many private citizens owned cannons and war ships and I believe this is somewhat appropriate in the modern day. I'm fairly certain you could own a mortar. But what if we step up? A 155 Howitzer? A private plane with missiles? What about a JDAM or FOAB? Or even a Surface to air rapid fire missile system? Just curious.

The biggest I have seen is DeGroat's T8 90mm.

Not my pic but I was there when they were shooting this thing. It felt like the earth moved under my feet when it went off.

normal_90mm_Shooting.jpg

Here is a link to the owner's online photo album of it. http://www.armamentsales.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=8

Well I dont even know how you would clean it, although you could take a hand brush and fit your arm down in the tube...

The lead looks like it comes out pretty solid, I am assuming the rifling on the pulled round, that the band is initially solid, and the rifling is created by the process of firing...

If I remember right the projectile on that thing weighs 17 pounds and it uses 8 pounds of powder per shot.

A low explosives licence is required for the powder. No DD for each shot, the projectiles are inert.

If I remember right...

That's what I'm talking about. Weapons that would need a DD tax for each round. For instance, a surface to air missile launcher with missiles. Theoretically, under the right circumstances, would one of these be legal for a private citizen?

Eod, do you have proof of this?

Dakota, have you read the destructive device definition? Any rocket with over 4 ounces of propellant or a missile with more than 1/4 ounce explosive charge is a DD.

Could someone own a missile launcher? Yes. Does anyone own a missile launcher? I seriously doubt it.

I know those are considered destructive devices as well as anything over .50 Caliber that's not a shotgun/doesn't have a sporting exemption. For example, a 14.5mm anti material rifle.

I'd like to see links to the Howitzers as well.

Making a claim on the internets and then telling someone that they should find their own proof is like admitting "it didn't happen" when someone says "pics or it didn't happen."

He's perfectly welcome to search the CFR and read all the laws about Destructive Devices. Nobody is stopping him. All the proof he needs is in the CFR.

Until then, look at the cool pictures and videos of people firing their howitzers, tanks, and recoiless rifles.

I've recently found anti-tank cannons and recoiless rifles for sale on the internet but no missile systems or Howitzers or anything so that I'm curious what the apparent divide is.

Back