What are the keys to getting a proper cheek weld on your stock?

Correia

I shoot quite a few clay pigeons, nothing fancy just a bunch of friends up a canyon with a hand thrower, and I grew up bird hunting. Recoil has never been a problem for me. In fact I find it fun. :)

However, once in a while while shooting heavier loads something will go wrong and I will jam myself painfully in the cheek during recoil. This doesn't happen often, and usually only when I'm thinking about it. When I just let it flow naturally I don't have this problem.

So whats the key to a good cheek weld, any tips or pointers from you experienced shotgunners? Dave? (By the way excellent post on shouldering) Others?

Thanks.

Consistency is the key here,Corriea. If you're getting whacked some of the time, you're doing something different those times.

Try this. With an UNLOADED shotgun, light a candle in a dark room. Focus on the flame and mount the shotgun. Dismount,stay in focus and repeat.If you've even a little light, you can see if the sight picture is the same each time. Any that are off are probably the ones that would have wacked ya.

When I hit the shooting position mentioend in the thread about Mounting, my head is shoved forward a bit by the stance, and I seem to have no grief in getting this part of form down OK.Try leaning into the shot more, and see if that helps your weld...

In my experience getting whacked in the cheek is a sign that you have lifted your head off of the stock. This is a common mistake shooters make when shooting clays.

Practice mounting untill it becomes second nature. Keep your head down, or as the British are fond of saying "keep wood on wood".

Geoff Ross

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll go out and practice some more this week. Because it is something I mostly do when I'm conscious of it, I think it probably is me picking my head up to look as I shoot. I'll just have to work on it somemore. Thanks.

Back