What are the carry conditions? (1,2,3,...?????)

sere101

Retired Screen Name
What are the carry conditions? (1,2,3,...?????) I read of carrying in condition 1 in another post. Does it vary with the type of semi?? Such as DA/SA or SA only?

Carry conditions as relating to a SA auto pistol:
Condition 1- "Cocked and Locked" round in the chamber, hammer cocked and saftey on. The best was to carry a 1911 or Browning Hi-power.
Condition 2- round in the chamber and the hammer down. Requires manually cocking the hammer to fire.
Condition 3- empty chamber and hammer down. Requires racking the slide to fire.

There ya go.

The conditions are most often used to refer to a single action semi-auto (1911 type) and describe the carry condition of the sidearm.

Condition 1: "Cocked and Locked"
The pistol has magazine inserted - one round in the chamber - hammer back (cocked) - safety engaged (locked). The preferred mode of carry for single actions like the 1911 and Browning HP.

Condition 2: The pistol has magazine inserted - one round in the chamber - hammer "down" (uncocked). This is probably the worst mode of carry for a single action like the 1911 and BHP. Old timers say condition 2 means you have 2 chances for an accidental discharge (AD)- one when you lower the hammer over the live round and one when you try to cock it. Most of the DA/SA semi-autos, however, are actually made to be used this way. The Beretta, for instance, has a "hammer drop" safety. When the safety is engaged it safely "drops" the hammer for you, over a blocked firing pin.

Condition 3: Magazine inserted - no round in the chamber - safety off - hammer doesn't really matter, up or down. When the time comes to use it you have to rack the slide to chamber a round. This mode can get you killed unless you practice it a lot. If you don't, you'll probably forget to do it or short stroke it and drop the hammer on air.

Sorry Grayfox - I was typing while you posted - your explanations are right on!

Mikey

[This message has been edited by Mikey (edited September 02, 1999).]

Thanks. Is there a good site or publication for the basics? I have gown up with weapons in my family and served a minor tour in the Army. But civilian armed techniques and the verbage for those techniques is new to me.
Thanks again.

Then there is Condition 0 (zero), the way the military had at first intended the 1911 to be carried. Hammer cocked, chamber loaded and the grip safety engaged. The original requirements were for no manual safety (thumb safety) but for an automatic safety that would be engaged when the pistol was not in hand and would be disengaded when being held. After losing a few horses (I think) during the Cavalry trials, it was decided that a manual safety be added.

As they say, "Kids, don't try this at home."

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Thanks Jim V, and to everyone for sharing your knowledge to help me develop my own.

[This message has been edited by sere101 (edited September 03, 1999).]

Back