What are the calibers prone to GAS CUTTING

stdalire

I read about gas cutting problems in high calibers. If this is true, what are the particular calibers that would easily affected to gas cutting.

If this drawback of high calibers, then we will refrain of using the gun always in practice or in shooting purposes.

Thanks

I had a 357 MAX that did cut the top strap.

However, I quickly realized that this wasn't an issue other than cosmetic. Once the initial "cut" reaches a certain depth it does not go any deeper. The top strap on the "heavy calibers" I have seen are more than strong enough to handly this slight "cutting". I have found that this was also the opinion of the "experts" in the Silhouette game where heavy blasters are the rule.

Have a great New Year, k

"Gas cutting" is a misnomer. The gas from any known handgun cartridge is not anywhere near hot enough to cut steel. It is the POWDER in the load. Unburned powder granules exiting at projectile velocity have a sand blasting effect, and the cut on the top strap is directly in line with the front face of the cylinder.
Cutting is caused by large loads of slow burning powder or loads that have so much powder they don't burn it all.
Change to a different powder. Or, if you don't want to depart from your favorite loads, take a common pencil and coat the top strap with graphite at frequent intervals; it will act as a lubricant to deflect the high speed powder granules without cutting. Problem solved.

Mr. John: Thanks for the good solution you have advised. It is a straight forward formula and to those who want hot loads or using big calibers needs not worry of this issue "Gas Cutting".

K in AR: Once the initial "cut" reaches a certain depth it does not go any deeper. How deep in millimiter or an inch, just a hairline depth or what. At least it will stop to a certain points.

Thanks.

Don't depend on the cut stopping at a certain depth. Only changing powder/load will stop the damage. The cut will also widen and take on the look of a ploughed furrow.
Many shooters treat the forcing cone and topstrap with dry moly disulphide lube to deflect granules without cutting, but the lead pencil is the quick and effective solution. Use it BEFORE significant cutting action starts or widening will occur due to granules not being able to readily escape the groove. Incidentally, I carry one of those carpenter's rectangular section pencils sharpened and ready to use in my range bag of tricks. Good medicine for 2400 and 296 loads.

All of the "Super Mag" calibers typically used in the Metallic Silhouette game, as well as in hunting, are known to slightly gas cut top straps in revolvers. Us steel silhouette shooters know this well. The calibers are: 357 Maximum, 375 Super Mag, 445 Super Mag and 414 Super Mag. The cutting stops somewhere in the range of .002 to .006 inch depth I believe, which is about the typical barrel to cylinder gap in many quality revolvers. Actually, gas alone nor powder granules alone will cut steel. It is a combination. Powder propelled by the hot and high velocity gases burning does the cutting. But most revolver makers know this and beef up the guns that chamber these calibers.
Wayne

Never had a problem with .41 and .44 mags cutting the top strap. The .357 mag. with heavy bullets (180 grs. and up) and the .357 Max. were pretty bad. The long skinny cases must contribute to the problem. The only powder I used was 296 so I can't address other powders. The graphite does help though.

Greetings: Thanks to all of your professional advices. It answers my personal querry if I should go ahead in buying the .357 max as my first magnum revolver in high caliber.

This is one thing good to TFLr's - for on the spot we can get practical and absolute answers without relying too much on magazine hype.

Back