What are the best night sights avaliable for my Sig Sauer P226?

AgtTanner

Which night sights are the best around for Sigs? How about laser sights also? Just purchased my first gun, which is a Sig, needed it before they ban them any helpful hints? What else do I need? Thanks in advance.

Greetings Sir-

I have a tu-tone Sig-Sauer P226 with factory SigLite night
sight's. Be advised these work well in low light conditions;
but leave a lot to be desired when shooting in daylight hours.

Regards,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

I don't know what are the "best" for your 226. I have a set of Trijicons on a 220 that I like, but I have not tried any of the others on the market. YMMV.

What Ala Dan said about the night sights. I have a Sig 226, and I just kept the factory bar and dot sights. I have used Trijicons on other pistols, and they worked good. But still yet during day light shooting, the sight picture was not the best. Sling Shot

I prefer the Meprolites for one reason: due to the fact that the tridium tubes are cased in plastic WHITE sleeves, during the day, the Meprolites will appear to have a bigger dot than the Trijicons as they utilize a silver tube, which gives a smaller dot appearance.

If you see 2 guns side by side, one with Meps and one with Trij's, you'll see a big difference in aparent dot size and therefore visibility.

CMOS

do you stack or line things up

there is no such thing as the "best" nite-sites

the most popular are the 3-dot sights:meg-pros,trijicons...
this is what sig uses in their siglites. these work really well if you're good at linning up the dot horizonally and you have a good sense for equal space between dots...sooo superior vertical control (read less stringing)

the other way to go is dot in front and dot/bar in rear: heine,ashley... these work best if you can line things up vertically...soooo superior lateral control (read less side-to-side shot dispersion)

if you like the way the standard sights line up(dot the i) you'll like the ashley; if the express rear doesn't bother you. you might also look at the heine straight-eights.

i think the 3-dots are slower to line up,but its up to what you're used to. isn't it great having a choice?

IMHO I like the bar-dot set up in the nite-sight configuration. Like 9mmepiphany said, this helps reduce lateral eye/hand movement. I had problems with the 3-dot set up because of this.

Depends...

as far as quality, I hear great things about Trij and Mepros. I agree with CMOS, and use Mepros for the same reason. If you just want good sites, that you can see well day or night, then I say Mepros by a slim margin... If you're looking for different colors, adjustables, something other than 3dot, or any other specialty item, then you're opening up a can of worms that ends up being your personal preference.

Clear as mud? Kinda figured.... ;)

I like the Ashley Big Dot with their bar rear sights. Gives a good day picture as well as night and maintains the Bar Dot configuration.

heine sights on sig

BobCA - how did you install the heines on the sig slide?

i was wondering if there was enough metal in the convex (domed) top slide to melt-in the sights. i can't see just mounting them on top of the slide because there looks to be more curvature to the slide than the underside of the sight base. i haven't given up yet,but still looking.

skevlar - thanks for the link, i'd seen this picture somwhere else before.

that's what i was afraid of... with the sight base sitting is the dovetail, the rest of the installation looks kinda cheesey...like guys who just jam bomars into the dovetail. the price you pay for the convex top a guess. i was hoping for somthing more blended like the 1911 or glock installation.

Back