What are some good holsters

GunMaverick

Sorry all,

I just know jack diddly about holsters. Anyone want give me the basics? Who makes bad ones? Who makes good ones? What are good holsters for revolvers? I just need to know everything!

GunMaverick

Safariland Group , handles a number of good brands .I still have acouplen of fine Safariland holsters from the past !Decide what gun , how it will be used ,and where it will be put and you;It will shorten the list ! There are also custom ones , fancy embossed ones.And decide whether you want leather or Kydex !:)

For what purpose? How much money do you want to spend? Like mete says, you want leather or plastic?
Kydex is an acrylic-polyvinyl chloride composite. Plastic.

Here is the key to getting a good holster.

Figure out how you want it to fit, read reviews, look at google images, and guess. This is my method because I know there are a lot of holsters that won't meet my stds just from pics.

From all that, I have developed this list of go to makers. Overland Gunleather, Milt Sparks, Garrett Industries, Don Hume. This is my list so far. There are others I should try like Blade Tech, Krounds, etc. there are some that simple pics or seeing in real life, tell me I will never buy them....like Alien Gear, Crossbreed, plus others...you have to figure out who to try.

You also, should start with these basic questions to yourself:
IWB or OWB?
How close should it fit to body?
Cant?
Belt attachment requirements?
Leather, leather lined kydex or kydex?
Trim line?

Cant: to me, can't is about where on my hip will I carry? In front of 3, and can't should go 0 to muzzle forward. Behind 3 and I go quickly from 0 to 30 deg. 25 to 30 works best IWB at about 4.

Material: leather holds by molded friction. Good molding and tight fit can make for a very hard draw, but a bit of work can open the holster to perfect. Kydex creates a very smooth low force holster with a real snap in snap out feeling. Leather lined trades the snap for a dampened stick fit. Also, consider how these materials rub on you...

Bianchi, Galco, Desantis and High Noon Holsters are good places to start looking.

Lots of choices of styles and set up but each make very good holsters.

I’ve had good luck with these brands/models. As someone said look at photos, talk to folks and then take a chance. Sadly many of us have a box of old holsters that didn’t quite work out.

IWB: Milt sparks VMII, Milt Sparks Summer Special

OWB: Simply Rugged Pancake, El Paso Saddlery Crosshair, Safriland 6378

You could do a lot worse than Tucker Gun leather. I have several on order from them. I also have a DeSantis that I'm happy with as well.

General use is still rather vague.
Holsters are like shoes.Some folks use one pair,some have hundreds,I've been told.
And what handgun?

General use for a single action revolver might be a holster/belt combo from Kirkpatrick ,John Wayne style.

General purpose for a1911 COULD be a GI flap holster.(But,maybe not)Or a Triple K or Hunter for a basic holster.

Concealed carry?Whole new ball game.That is a quite specific use.

Shop on Midway,or Amazon,or just search for holsters for your specific firearm.
Come up with ideas.There are a lot of holster vids on you tube.

Try to learn all you can and narrow it down.Then we can help you better.
And,despite our best efforts,you still may end up with more than one holster.

Please do not settle for worn,soft,old used holsters or generic nylon.
A holster has a job to do.Hold(retain) a pistol securely,and to be stiff and protective enough to avoid firing driving,putting on seatbelts,re-holstering,etc.

For my revolvers, GP use, I've got Galco, Bianchi, and Safariland leathers. Good bang-for-your-buck (moderately priced, probably get 6-8 years out of them at least). I have a couple higher-end holsters (Kramer, Wilson Combat), and they are better looking, made from higher quality leathers, and will probably outlast my 'budget' holsters by several years. But honestly I got them mostly because they look better and/or fit that particular gun better.

I'd do a search here for holsters or leather holsters; I know there are many threads on the subject, as I found a wealth of info a couple years ago when I was looking for a holster review.

Back