What are some good boots

nedfig

I have fallen arches (flat feet) and so far every pair of shoes I ever owned (except one pair of Wolverine DuraShocks) kill my feet after standing and walking for a good while. Can yall make some suggestions on good boots with good arch support. Not necessarily hunting boots, but your average plain work boot.

Thanks

Last year at Knob Creek, I stopped by the cav store, and bought a couple of pairs of the new issue combat boots - They were some of the most comfy boots I've ever worn...

Including a $250 pair of Asolo hiking boots.

Danner makes some darn good boots. Also, there are many arch support inserts that you can put into any boot... companies like Dr. sholes and such make them... not too expensive.

That's what I've been doing, but when you put the inserts in, that takes up room inside the shoe and squeezes your foot inside the shoe.

I like the Danner boots, real nice.

Nedfig,
I use the sorbathane inserts. When I'm going boot shopping, I'll wear a pair that have the inserts & when I try on the new boots, I slip the inserts into the new pair before I try them on. That way I know how much room there is.

Good luck,

bobs1066

...I work in and on trees all day long...I've got three pair of Red Head boots that cost me 150. each...I've been alternating them everyday since 1996...Two of the three pair are still being alternated everyday...I polish and seal and treat my boots...Because of the nature of my job and the hazards I deal with on a regular basis, everywhere from the ground up to about 120'...I have to use equipment that I can depend on...I live in Colorado Springs, CO at about 6500 feet and frequently spend the day at or above 11-12K...plus or minus the height of the trees I climb;)
These boots have been worn rain or shine and have been re-soled at least twice for each pair...The tops have been patched and re-sewn occasionally and they are still in rotation...Best 450. I ever spent on footwear...Use plenty of polish and don't be shy with the Sno-Seal and you'll have yours for 5-6 years too...

Good luck...Hope this was of some benefit...
bandit.gif

Buy some Spenco arch supports and take them with you when you shop for some good boots. Spenco's cost less than $20 and are the best arch supports available w/o a prescription.

Matterhorn 8" boots are very comfortable.Throwing in some Superfeet insoles will also help out any pair of boots.I hiked 2,100 miles of the AT non-stop in a pair of boots with the Superfeet insoles....good support.

Danner and Matterhorns are great boots. I have boots made by both companies. Two pairs were military issued and others are hunting boots.

I've used em to trek across frozen snow fields to climbing tree stands on warm days. Either way, they keep your feet quite comfortable.

Add arch support inserts if needed.

I have both Matterhorn and Danner. Can't tell any difference in them myself. I was told by my friendly neighborhood boot dealer that at one time Matterhorn subcontracted for Danner and then started making their own version. Matterhorn is made by the Cole Boot Co. The main difference is about $40 in price.

As everyone else has stated I use an extra insoles in my boots. It saves the inside of the boot, and believe me you will wear out the inside of either of these boots before they are gone on the outside.They donot come witth a replacceable insole from the factory. Danner does have some sort of piece of plastic arch support with theirs, but I ain't impressed with it.

They may seem heavy at first, but I can't tell it myself. The stability, ruggedness, dry feet and comfort of the boot makes it all worth it.

Ever notice at night you usually always stop the Unit right in a dang mud hole?

PROSOUTH

I personally like Vasques. I bought a pair from REI for about $100, and they lasted me 4 years of hard abuse. I wore them camping once a month, they went hiking in the southwest, wore them around Germany, and they went on 3 separate backpacking trips. Throughout the whole time they were really comfortable. The only thing I did was add a pair of insoles. I just got rid of the old ones and got a new pair of Vasques that had Goretex lining, and although I haven't broken them in yet, they seem to be really comfortable too.

I will second the suggestion for Superfeet insoles. At $26 they aren't cheap, but well worth every penny. I used them in my Asolo boots this summer on numerous backpacking trips this summer and bird hunting this fall. Not one blister or arch problem after years trouble.

Also, White's boots in Spokane makes fantastic work boots for arch support. I've had a pair of smokejumpers for 14 years now.

Good Evening Everyone-

Good boot suggestions. I'm partial to Danner for general purpose use.

Have used a few pairs of Merrell MK II Superlights for hiking, but they seem to wear rather quickly. No matter what you choose, remember to wear a good, seamless sock like SmartWools.

Good luck,

~ Blue Jays ~

Have you ever consider purchasing a pair of custom made Orthotics? By custom, I don't mean off the shelf footbed or those you see on infomercials. Perharps the best place to find custom footbed is at your local ski shop. Also, I found "Scarpa" boots to fit the best for my flat feet.

Here's a link to Scarpa's homepage:
http://www.scarpa.co.uk/

Back