What ammo shoots best from 10/22

Scratch

I would like to know what ammo you guys are getting the best results with out of you 10/22s. I'm shooting squirrels and would like to also know what hollow points have the best wallup.
Thanks
Scratch

Different guns, even though the same model, may very well prefer different brands of ammo. Buy a bunch of different ammo and see what YOUR rifle prefers.

Chris is right on. I am in the never-ending process of determining what ammo my 10/22 likes. I have tried everything from el cheapo Federals and Win. Dynapoints to Eley Tenex. Not surprisingly, the more expensive match ammo shoots best. Mine really liked Lapua Multi-Match and Fed. Match 900A (just bought a brick of that to continue testing). But do not eliminate the cheap ones from your test. I get very good performance from Win Dynapoints and Win Super-X. In fact the Super-X shot almost as good as Tenex at about 1/6th the price.

Like Mal H, I've tried almost everything, including the premium match ammo in several rifles. The ONE ammo that has performed well in all of them is the Winchester Super-X hollow point. It even outshoots the Super-X solids for some reason. I have also found it to be almost the equal of the high priced match ammo!

I buy it 2 or 3 bricks at a time!

Mikey

One thing that I have had happen is a loss of accuracy (why never a gain?) when switching lot numbers.

Out of the box 1022's all seem to do well with CCI SGBs. I have also had good results in other rifles and 1022ts with Winchester T22.

Giz

I'll beat the borse one more time:

every gun is going to choose a diferent flavor of ammo. I have two highly customized 10/22s, built by the same guy, at the same time, with the same parts, with the same Green moutain valley barrels...but.. one shoots CCI green tag incredibly well, the other needs some super expensive Lapua crap to keep the rounds in an acceptable group.... go figure!

Hey there!

I'll keep this short but sweet. My Bone stock 10/22 LOVES CCI Stingers. I used to take a quarter, and with a marker trace a circle around the quarter on a piece of cardboard. I'd then pace off fifty big steps, and then proceed to empty the 10 rnd magazine into that circle off hand. That is bad medicine (or would that be good medicine?) for squirrels where I come from! Give it a shot (no pun intended!)

Unkel Gilbey

[This message has been edited by Unkel Gilbey (edited January 05, 2000).]

Ditto on whatever it is your rifle likes best.

.22LRs do have some strange characteristics about the sonic area; breaking & then dropping below that speed. As Im aware, all match-grade ammo is sub-sonic.

I've excellent luck with Rem's Sub-Sonic. Pretty cheap (~$14+ a brick), shoots fine & a nice HP.

A squirrel shot in a vital zone will not be able to tell the other squirrel you're using wimpy ammo. ;)

BTW, I've single-loaded Rem's CBcaps & had pretty luck with these as well. Pretty quiet too boot.

I did the testing exercise with Eley, RWS, Lapua, Federal, Winchester, Remington, and CCI in my 10/22, SW41, and Colt revolver and each had their own preferences. The 2 barrel assemblies of the S&W even had individual preferences. One common ammo that shot extremely well in all of them with tight groups was CCI. The CCI SGB loads were great, but were discontinued a few years ago. All in all the CCI MiniMags were the best for cost and performance. The MiniMags are also excellent on small game with a choice of hollowpoints or solids available. Poorest performers were Winchester and Remington. Accuracy was ok with the Winchester and Remington variants, but they suffered from a large quantity of failure to feeds and jams/extraction problems(revolver) in all of my guns. Prior to conducting my tests I had sorted all test ammo by rim thickness and the thin rims(.037") were mostly in the Winchester and Remingtons. Sorting the other ammo by rim thickness revealed that CCI was the most consistent - even more consistent than all Eley variants except for Tenex, and more consistent than all the other brands of imports. Even the cheapest variant CCI Blazer would pretty much sort to .040 and .041 evenly.

[This message has been edited by slickpuppy (edited January 05, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by slickpuppy (edited January 05, 2000).]

Back